New
Find
Notify
Tools

.454 shotshell loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for ideas on shot loads for my Casull (Puma carbine). I was hoping for a little more capacity than the CCI capsules offer. So I'm considering trimming plastic .410 hulls down to around 1.6" and roll crimping over an overshot card. Another option I've considered is trimming down .444 Marlin brass. They have a base diameter about 0.01" less than the 454 (same as .410, I believe), but I believe this and the body taper could be eliminated with fireforming (a few grains of shotgun powder under a case full of cormeal). The rim diameter should work fine. I'm not sure about the rim thickness. I'm thinking that a felt overpowder wad and a glued-in overshot card or a crimped-in upside-down gascheck over around 1/2 oz of small shot would suffice without giving up the capacity that a plastic wad cup would take up. Anybody got any experience with anything like this? Any chance I could get a cut-down .410 hull to feed from the mag? Is the .444 brass casing a better idea? I'm thinking so, since the lack of a base wad would offer more capacity. Any input appreciated.
Thanks!

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Waterfowler

I make shotshells for my 44mag out of 303 brass. I shoot them out of 6" S&W629. Cut them cylinder length, powder, over powder wad made from 2 layers styrofoam meat tray, #9 shot, another single layer of meat tray and enough white glue to cover the styrofoam. About 1/8". Styrofoam is tamped indo place with the back end of a 3/8" drill bit.

Shoots surprisingly accurate for a handgun. Keeps most of the shot in a 8" circle at 15-20 feet.

I know this is not what you asked, just letting you know what I do, in case there was some info you could use.

Joe

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
You should be on the right track with the .444 brass. My books show nearly identical head and rim sizes and the .303 has a huge rim that I could not make use of in some of my projects. If I were to do it (and I just might make some up, thought I tend to be pretty happy with the CCI stuff) I would trim brass to your .454 COAL and look at a rose crimp die used for making blanks. If you already have some of the CCI stuff, you may use the bases for the shotcups. I don't know how often you would expect to reuse the brass, but I assume that you are looking for something only to use occasionally. I have found that my 45 ACP Lee speed die will put a considerable shoulder on longer (than 45 acp) brass and could work fine if your Puma likes large-metplat solids.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote