Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .22-250 Whitebox Load
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have any idea of what that ammo is made from ie: powder, primer, etc..? My rifle loves it and I was wanting to try to reload exactly what it is made with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but it must be some good stuff. My uncle's Rem 700 22-250 loves it too.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you're referring to the Winchester USA ammo. I see a 45gr. jacketed hollow point load. What you know is that the ammo is all Winchester components. They have a 46gr. hollow point bullet listed. The 2006 Winchester Reloading Guide shows a 45gr. Barnes X using 41.0gr. of W760 with a WLR primer. The X-bullet (since discontinued) has more neck tension than most bullets. Start a few grains lighter and work up. If you have a chrono, try to duplicate the velocity of the boxed cartridge. There's no guarantee that W760 is the powder in the factory round. It is close in burn rate to H380, which is a preferred powder for 22-250. The H380 may worth a try if W760 doesn't work out. Both are spherical powders and need hot primers.

posted Hide Post
Thanks!! I am new to reloading and do have some H380 to use. I have CCI primers now. Which primers are considered hot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crzybowhntr:
Thanks!! I am new to reloading and do have some H380 to use. I have CCI primers now. Which primers are considered hot?

Primer strength varies not only by designation (std or mag), but also by brand. Winchesters are the hottest. I took a look at a Hodgdon recipe using H380, and they also recommend the WLR primer. If you have CCI 250 (LRM) primers, they should work, but it adds a variable. You may want to buy a small supply (100) of WLR primers if you can get them locally.

If you go to the Hodgdon website, you can get loading recipes for both Hodgdon and Winchester powders. If you're unfamiliar with load development, search on "Audette Ladder Method" and "Optimum Charge Weight."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's in it, but it sure works well in my T3 with varmint barrel.

I tried Nosler 50g with H380, but it didn't group as well. The only combo I found that was slightly better was Speer TNT with RL15.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's in it, but it sure works well in my T3. The only combo I found that is better is Speer TNT 50g with RL15

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For the most part, you can't duplicate a factory load as propellants are often blended.

Even if you did figure out the exact components, that doesn't mean you'll encounter the same components in the next batch of ammo, either. As long as a load falls within a specific pressure range and develops target velocities along with the company's standard for accuracy, ammo companies will use whatever propellant(s) that may be readily available.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've just read, supposedly on the authority of the 2008 Hodgdon manual, that W760 and H414 have identical ballistics. That would mean that H380 is a faster powder. If you have any H414, you'll want to try it. The Hodgdon Reloading Center confirms:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp