THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Mix and match press systems to get the best of all worlds?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mix and match press systems to get the best of all worlds?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to this and learning. It appears that with a lever gun in 45-70, there is a considerable safety issue with properly seating primers. If not fully seated, there is the possiblity of a recoil-induced, mag-tube discharge.

The other significant safety issue is related to the progressive press and that is ensuring that a proper, not a double, charge of powder is dropped.

So, with these two issues in mind, what progressive press would you folks suggest?

So far, my research has shown: The Dillons can be outfitted with their powder check alarm. The Hornady Lock-n-Load can be set up with a visual, but not audible, powder checker. And the RCBS has seemingly the best primer system in its APS system.

I don't know if the Hornady or the RCBS can use the Dillon powder alarm.

Nor have I been able to figure out what systems can use the higher quality powder throwers such as the Redding, Sinclair, and the Harrell.

Should I look to the Redding T-7 turret press instead? Am I correct in assuming that that press would give me more control over the process but not slow things considerably? Is this a correct assumption? Also, does anyone know if the Dillon Powder Check and the RCBS APS primer systems could be used with this press. Obviously, I think anyhow, the Redding Powder throwers would work. How about the Sinclair and the Harrell?

This is complicated! Help!!

It maybe seems like the best system would be the Redding T-7, the RCBS APS primer system, one of the high-quality powder throwers, and the Dillon powder check/alarm. Would all this work together?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
Cameron,

Perhaps the first question should be...
How much ammunition do I need to make in an evening�s worth of time/effort?

What I'm getting at is are you shooting several hundreds of rounds per week or more? If that's you, then a progressive is what you need. However, if your needs per week are more on the order of 1 to 3 hundred, then perhaps a good turret press such as the T-7 is in order. A good turret press will allow you to load a couple hundred high quality cartridges in an evening with out breaking a sweat. A progressive can build two to three times that amount in about the same time.

However, with the progressive press it is a little more likely that you'll double charge a case (this assumes that your normal powder charge is less than 1/2 the case volume) or the flip side, not charge a case at all there by building a squib round.

What I've come to find in my circumstance is that most all rifle cartridges are being loaded on my turret press. Further, that all load development is done there as well. About the only use my progressive is seeing these days is putting together "plinking" ammo! Anything I intend to build as a "premium quality" cartridge always ends up being built on the turret press (I don't at this time own a single stage press, or find that I need one).

I'm not sure that I've helped you as to which way you should spend your reloading funds. But after 8 years at the reloading bench, this is how it's playing out for me. I find I'm shooting fewer cartridges per week, of higher quality, with better accuracy, through a greater number of guns, in more caliber�s than I ever thought I'd load for when I started this hobby.

Regards,

posted Hide Post
Abe,

Thanks for the information. Anyone else have any opinions?

Posts: 3 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would second Abe's thoughts. I don't own a progressive press and if I were to purchase one it would be for pistol loading only with the possible exception of 223 Rem if I ever get into high volume shooting.

That said, I have a Lyman turret press and it works well enough for my purposes. For the caliber you mention I personally would never consider a progressive press as there are simply too many variables. You mentioned a legit safety concern with the priming step but went on to speak of powder charging. I would take special care to the priming to verify that your bullets end up resting upon the case and not the primer when in your magazine. If not, you'll have a serious problem on your hands should they go off in the magazine. It's not unlikely that you would have a chain reaction if they were all similarly primed.

I've kind of been thinking as I type and I would recommend staying away from a progressive, especially if you're new to the game.

Lastly, there are devices to measure primer seating depth and to effectively manipulate the seating depth you'll need some prep tools for the primer pocket more then likely. I would recommend Sinclair for these sorts of things as they are extremely knowledgeable over the phone as well.

Hopefully that didn't meander too much.

Good luck,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have yet to feel the burning need for a progressive press, and assuming you are a new handloader, would recomend starting with a single stage.

I had a turret press, and while there is some advantage of speed, I find that a Forester co-ax I replaced it with is just as fast, due to simply sliding out the dies, and faster for caliber changes, as you never have to change turret plates.

Top drawer set up would be a co-ax with a Harrel or Redding powder measure. You will produce high quality ammo with reasonable speed.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cameron Reddy:

So far, my research has shown: The Dillons can be outfitted with their powder check alarm. The Hornady Lock-n-Load can be set up with a visual, but not audible, powder checker.

I can't tell which powder checker you are referring to.

One checks the level of powder in the powder measure and the other checks the powder level in the case after the case is charged and before the bullet is seated.

I have never had an over charge, but have had several loaded rounds with no powder in them. This is very dangerous as it leaves a bullet in the barrel.

I very much suggest checking the powder level 'IN THE CASE' regardless of how you reload or what equipment you use.

As to which progressive press to use, the dillon 650 is the cheapest press (that I know of) which supports a 'powder check in the case' die (as shipped). I don't recommend useing a progressive for rifle loads, and find pistol rounds (like 9mm, 45,acp) easy to check by looking at the powder as the bullet is set on the case mouth.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote