New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball Powder in Dillon Powder Measure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to load a few thousand rounds of prairie dog ammo using a Dillon 550.

Trying to use WW 760 in the 220 Swift, AA 2230C in 223 Rem, and WW 748 in some other rounds.

Having troubles with the Dillon powder measure. One round will load way too light. Then the next round will be overflowing pouring out over the press making a mess requiring the press to be disassembled for cleaning.

Thought these ball powders would be just the ticket for the Dillon since they flow so well and usually have about a +/- 0.1 grain variation in powder measures. Usually get +/- 0.3 grain or more variation with extruded powders.

One thought that crossed my mind was that the case lube was causing a sticking problem. Using Hornady's One Shot spray lube.

Brass is all brand new and has been deburred and chamfered and is sized in the first Dillon station.

Any ideas ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Providing you are not forgetting to index the press, the overflow is an almost sure giveaway to a "bridging" problem. Only since it's ball and not extruded powder we'll call it a "clumping problem". Shake the can gently but well before you dispense it into the measure.

One other slight possibility is the charge bar is sticking and you set your charge weight based on incomplete return-to-battery. Then the overflows are caused by periodic full returns-to-battery. Good old graphite is what I lube the charge bar and drop tube with. The 550 upgrade assures return-to-battery and is a good idea.

I don't know if Dillon offers .17cal conversions for the 550 but if they do you might have gotten a .17 cal drop tube somehow

And I suggest you have your worklight directed into the charged case so you can glance in it as you index.

Good Luck.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just tried to set up my old Dillon 450B for a 22-250 and the stick powder (IMR 4064) kicked it's ass. 4064 is probably one of the worst metering powders to use, but the local stores were out of H-380 and I use a ton of 4064 in 243 and 308.

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote