Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 Rem 50 Gr V-MAX Moly
 Login/Join

posted
Since I could not get the Hornady brass for my 222 Rem Model 700 BDL I ordered the Hornady 222 Rem loaded with the 50 gr V-Max Moly. I don't want the moly bullets nor do I want to shoot them in my rifle. Will there be a problem with pressure if I just pull the 50 gr V-Max Moly and place a 50 gr V-Max non-moly in its place? I have looked high and low and can't find the answer. Thanks in advance for all the answers I know I'll get from all experts on this forum. Sure is nice to have a place to get all the information when you get lost in the forest.

Thanks, Herman
NRA Life Member

Posts: 2 | Location: Bethune, South Carolina, USA | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that there would be a problem....I would set the seating depth out to get good fireformed brass and the factory ammo that I have had in 222 wasn't loaded hot....I would try one and fire it watching for pressure signs and primer leakage and then do the rest.......it worked for me in similar situation....good luck and good shooting!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Why the need for Hornady brass in .222 Rem. ?

I've been buying and using Remington and Winchester .222 brass for over 25 years and they are just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandhills_Shooter:
... Will there be a problem with pressure if I just pull the 50 gr V-Max Moly and place a 50 gr V-Max non-moly in its place? I have looked high and low and can't find the answer.

Let me see, you are asking if anybody is willing to provide guidance or "absolution" for committing what is a basic sin in reloading. Your question is essentially, "can I shoot a load developed with different components (and thus different pressure parameters) if I decide to switch just one parameter"?? The answer to that question would have to be NO, and if you decide to risk it anyway, then good luck to you.

If the Hornady brass is so important to you, why don't you measure the charge in the moly load, dump out the powder. If you really want to use that powder again (to save yourself 10$), then the safe way would be to work up a load with the Hornady brass, the factory powder and primer and your new bullet. Then load up and shoot. To expect anybody to tell you that simply loading another bullet into the factory case (with factory load and primer) is perfectly safe, is perhaps a bit much.

In general, moly coated bullets change the pressure parameters. Can you tell us whether the factory reacted to this by increasing the powder charge?? Probably not.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Let me see, you are asking if anybody is willing to provide guidance or "absolution" for committing what is a basic sin in reloading. Your question is essentially, "can I shoot a load developed with different components (and thus different pressure parameters) if I decide to switch just one parameter"?? The answer to that question would have to be NO, and if you decide to risk it anyway, then good luck to you.
- mike

+1
No way. You don't know if that powder charge will be too much for a non-molly bullet. Molly bullets can be/are loaded with higher powder charges to achieve velocities than std bullets. You are flirting with Freddy, the friendly undertaker.

Don

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input from each of you. I have used the Hornady brass in 243 and liked it so wanted to try it with the 222. Don't have anything against Remington or Winchester, use both in other rifles without problems.

My concern is what happens pressure wise if the only diference is the Moly coating on the bullet. Both bullets are the Hornady 50 gr V-Max. Since I have never loaded the Moly coated bullets, and have never fired any of them in my rifles, I was hopeing that someone else with experience with them would chime in. I'll take the advice that the factory could have loaded them hotter because of the reduced friction.

And I don't worry about the cost of the powder to replace what's in the case now. You won't see another post from me saying "Well they will be over pressure if you leave the Moly off and use the same charge."

Thanks again for the inputs

Thanks, Herman
NRA Life Member

Posts: 2 | Location: Bethune, South Carolina, USA | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote