THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Help Please...Neck Sized Rounds are Tight to Chamber

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Please...Neck Sized Rounds are Tight to Chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just neck sized my first fire formed rounds for my LVSF 7/08 and now I find that they are tight in the chamber. My COL is 2.735" and that didn't change with this loading. I can chamber the rounds but they are snug and the bolt lift is heavy on an unfired round.

What did I do wrong? Can I safely fire these rounds?

Any help is appreciated.

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruz,

There are a few things that could have gone wrong. Firstly, I assume that the cases were fire-formed in your rifle??

If so, you might want to blacken a cartridge with a marking pen or engineer's blue, chamber it and then remove it. The areas which are scraped clean, are where the case and chamber walls are contacting (the areas which need attention)

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Sounds llke to me, that if they weren't fired in another weapon of the same caliber, then you need to disassemble them and re size them down a little farther... you didn't have your die set to size them...

when necksizing you need to make sure the first one will chamber in the firearm...if it doesn't or is overly snug, then you need to resize it down a little more..... this needs to be done before you size all the rest... so your die is properly set where it needs to be.. before having to disassemble a whole batch like this...

if you bolt lift is hard on extraction, you are pushing your bullet into the chamber also and hitting the lands..if you shell might be loaded to the upper end of the load recommendation, this will increase pressure, therefore making the extraction hard....

you need to check your cartridges OAL and your Case's OAL...

making a dummy round might help out in this instance first.. that will tell you what you have or don't have before you load up a bunch of rounds...

don't worry, it has happened to all of us who reload at one time or another.. just another page in the learning cycle...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem when I first started neck sizing (with a N/S die) because I adjusted the die to resize the full length of the neck. In fact it was a tad too much and crushed a small bulge into the shoulder which really tightened things up. A kind fellow shooter informed me I only needed to do half the neck to hold the pill firmly.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). How much tighter than a fired case that has not been reloaded? If about the same, that is good. If alot tighter, then look for "why" VERY, VERY carefully.

#2). As said, you can coat the outside with magic marker, die makers blue, something besides trying to smoke with a candle... too hot... and then chamber and see where the "tightness" is. Coating will be rubbed off.

#3). Yes, we all run into this. Working thru it is part of the process of learning to reload.

#4). PROBABLY, the cartridges should be safe to fire and will come out even easier than they go in. Better fire formed... Unless you bulged the case with a gross overload or the wrong sized bullet or ??? It is a learning process! ... (It can happen... Got any .303 bullets that might have been loaded by "accident?" This will do it.)

#5). Compare a reload to a new, factory round. You may need a mic or caliper to measure, but the difference may be obvious too. (CF #2). Factories are made to a maximum that is below the factory minimum for ALL chambers. That way they drop into any chamber. By reloading you abandon this sloppy standard (and should be rewarded with better accuracy, BUT...) and working to these closer standards, you have to learn to manage same... LUCK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
#1). How much tighter than a fired case that has not been reloaded? If about the same, that is good. If alot tighter, then look for "why" VERY, VERY carefully.

#2). As said, you can coat the outside with magic marker, die makers blue, something besides trying to smoke with a candle... too hot... and then chamber and see where the "tightness" is. Coating will be rubbed off.

#3). Yes, we all run into this. Working thru it is part of the process of learning to reload.

#4). PROBABLY, the cartridges should be safe to fire and will come out even easier than they go in. Better fire formed... Unless you bulged the case with a gross overload or the wrong sized bullet or ??? It is a learning process! ... (It can happen... Got any .303 bullets that might have been loaded by "accident?" This will do it.)

#5). Compare a reload to a new, factory round. You may need a mic or caliper to measure, but the difference may be obvious too. (CF #2). Factories are made to a maximum that is below the factory minimum for ALL chambers. That way they drop into any chamber. By reloading you abandon this sloppy standard (and should be rewarded with better accuracy, BUT...) and working to these closer standards, you have to learn to manage same... LUCK.

Liranger,

Thanks for the information. The loads are the same that I've been shooting with 43.5gr of Varget,140 TSX,CCI BR2 and Winchester Brass. When I FL size I am getting a group average in the .3's so I was trying to see just what this rifle could do if I used formed brass. I guess I will just order a Neck Sizer Die like I should have from the beginning.

Thanks again,

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote