New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 STA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any general comments on this beast? Good or bad, I want to hear them all.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you can justify the case size in a .323" and .338" barrel, then all the more so as the bore gets bigger and the expansion ratio decreases.
It's right between the 340 Weatherby (or 338-8mm Rem) and the 375 Weatherby magnums. (Not the 378, mind you.)
If you like it, it is what it is.
Brass is plentiful, made from any of a number of cartridges, and available as factory headstamped, bigger then the Norma, which by most accounts is plenty for anything on this side of the pond, and with a 26" bbl you should be able to get a 280g A-Frame to around 2800 fps on the warmish side.
It does have a belt, and opinions about that are all over the forum.

Now, my personal feeling is that the .358" bullet is an excellent size for big game, and pushed fast enough can get you 270 or better velocities out to 400 yds.
Problem is, there just aren't a whole hekuva lot of bullets out there for it.
Compare bullets of similar SD in different calibers, and the .358" usually has a lower BC.
The real trajectory difference out to 400 yd is surprisingly small, but it is there. You won't find a 250g with a .48 BC for whatever reason.

The .338" has a lot more bullets, better BC's generally, and a flatter trajectory with like SD's.
The .375" makes a bit bigger hole, about the same amount and style of bullets (maybe less?), will shoot like-weight bulelts a bit faster, as usual.

I wanted something bigger than a .338 and smaller than a .375, so that was my ideal.
I wanted something faster than the Norma, so I used the Jeffery case. Came close to the STA, but I enjoy the beltless approach when available.

Who was it, Phurley? that sent me an excellent article about the STA by Layne Simpson. PM him and ask nicely.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
Problem is, there just aren't a whole hekuva lot of bullets out there for it.
Compare bullets of similar SD in different calibers, and the .358" usually has a lower BC.

The .338" has a lot more bullets, better BC's generally, and a flatter trajectory with like SD's.
[QUOTE]

I couldn't say it any better, so I borrowed the words!

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We had a client who hunted with his .358 STA back in June. Granted, he was an amazing shot (he works as a guide in Northern BC), but that rifle did some amazing things to game. He shot a kudu at about 400 yards that was facing us head on...the kudu literally went over backwards and was as dead as yesterday when we got there.

He was using 250 gr. Swift A-Frames and they performed marvelously...

I want one myself now.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyocowboyshooter

A friend has a 35 STA. I have shot it and here are my observations.

The 358 STA kicks harder and faster than a 375H&H and recoil is also up from a 340 Wby. I find it identical to my 375 Ultra (with reasonable loads).

The 250 grain 35 cal is a bit short for the real big stuff up close. The 250-.338 and the 300-375 are a good step in the penetration direction.

Is it a step up in killing power over the .338's?
With it's short bullets I doubt it.

Is it better than the 375 H&H at long range?
Well... if you can differentiate 2 inches less drop at 400 yards you are a better shot than I am.

All that said the 358 STA is the real goods.
Big power, flat shooting, and pretty accurate as well.

In short if you want it get it!

You might want to look at the 375 Ultra though.
Just like the STA...only more of it!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the big .35 myself . What turned me off was the outrageous price RCBS or Redding will charge you for a set of dies , and the fact that you have to blow out the case after necking up . To me , it could have been a simple neck up job from the 8 mag , eliminated a step , and still had ample powder capacity and performance .

In the same class , I would go with a .340 or .375 Weatherby , or a .338 or .375 RUM , for less fooling around .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Wyocowboyshooter ---- I shoot two .358 STA's. Contrary to some thought, the bullet selection is excellent, though that was not always the case. I shoot Sierra Gameking, Swift A-Frame, Nosler Partition, Kodiak, and the best is last the North Fork, that rascal is awesome. ----- I have a custom Model 70 Winchester built in your great state by a gunsmith in Cheyenne. It has a "Lilja" barrel, my other rifle is a Model 70 Winchester custom. The Lilja shoots everything 50 to 100 fps faster than the Winchester, both are tack drivers. ----- From the Lilja I can get the 270 grain North Fork and 280 grain Swift A-Frame to beat 3000 fps. My super accurate loads are 2950 fps for the Lilja and 2850 for the Winchester. I can drive the 250 grainers at 3100 plus and the 225 grainers 3200, I back off both slightly for maximum accuracy. 300 grain bullets are available from Woodleigh, I have never shot it. ---- The Brass is no problem, and you don't have to fireform if you don't want to, though once shot, your capacity is slightly greater. I have used 8mm and others, I usually order it stamped as .358 STA from Superior Ammo in Sturgis South Dakota. They do an excellent job, and it is always prepped to "trim to" lengths. ---- compare it to the .375's or .378 Wby and it holds it's own and then some, with a better SD bullet. You just have to shoot this honey to beleave what it will do in the field. Try it, you will like it. I will be glad to send the article to anyone interested. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-21-2003, 22:51: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have an action and 358 barrel that has been sitting here forever. i just cant seem to get it to the smith. something keeps telling me 358 ultra. a very simple neck down of the 375. nothing fancy. just buy the ultra follower and box. i am assuming a redding button neck die would do the trick. the reamer i am told could be of the floating kind with reduced pilot on the 375 reamer. all in all it appeals to me more than the sta. has nothing to do with the belts. i dont care either way but if i am going to knock myself over why not to it in an even grander fashion [Big Grin]
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-man:
Is it a step up in killing power over the .338's?
With it's short bullets I doubt it.
Jamie

That why you use the 270's, 280's and 310 grainers! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
The Barnes with a 225 grain XLC bullet and North Fork bullets of 225, 250 and 270 grains, being solid and solid shank respectfully are longer than the lead bullets, therefore offering more length, thus better BC. The BC thing is debated constantly, as long as the bullet goes where I want it out to 400 yards and has good SD with retained speed, I am happy. Look at the .375's if we are talking short bullets. [Wink] Good shooting.