New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal brass again?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What was the scoop on federal brass again?

Soft, doesnt last, primers loose or something???

Its way heavyer than WW

I have only used WW, lapua and norma

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal is very close to Starline. I think they supply the military so much that we can't buy any. I never had a problem with it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal is owned by ATK, the same company that also runs the Lake City Arsenal outside Kansas City...

who also own Speer, and RCBS...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Just for info, here is the average weight figures for a box(20) each of Winchester, FC, LC 00, and 20 IMI,223. I match prepped them today. Winchester 91.5 grains, LC 00 91.5. IMI 91.6, and FC 95.6. all after reaming primer pockets and drilling flashholes. I left the length the same. The necks on the FC came out of the collet die at 2K larger diameter, the others were esentially the same. All once fired range pick-ups except the IMI I had in a group of 20 by chance.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
What was the scoop on federal brass again?

Soft, doesnt last, primers loose or something???

I hoarded some Federal Gold Match (?) .223 brass for years, and finally found the perfect opportunity to utilize my "premium" brass... What a disappointment, primer pockets were so loose from the word go (and I only load light loads), that I don't expect the brass to last long. Mad

No more Federal brass for me - unless I have some to reload from factory ammo.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've used Fed. match brass in 308 & 30-06 & it left me unimpressed. It seems soft & primer pokcets went after one or two firings. I prefer just about anything else, maybe no RP, but Lapua, Norma & WW for sure.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe no RP, but Lapua, Norma & WW for sure.

I second this statementand but, prefer Lapua because of quality and price. Norma may be great but, they really think so too and price it accordingly. I don't think Lapua is in any way inferior to Norma. W-W is good brass, not in the Norma/Lapua sense but certainly good stuff.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote