New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma brass question
 Login/Join

posted

Maybe someone can help
I have been cleaning and sizing some 7mm Remington cases for a friend and I have found the Norma cases won't go in the shell holder that excepts Win. Super X and Remington cases. The extractor groove on the Norma cases measures several thousands larger than on the other cases. Is this normal and do I need a new shell holder? They are about thirty years old and there are only about thirty of them but he would like to use them.
Thank you mcshreeve

Posts: 6 | Location: oregon,jackson | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may since RCBS makes a seperate shell holder for Norma cases (I don't know if this is necessary for the newer ones though). From memory it seems like winchester and remington cases took shell holder #4 and the norma took #25 or #26. It seems like on the package of #25 or #26 that the instructions stated the shell holder MAY be necessary for norma cases. Memory has been known to fail me, but I know without a doubt different shell holders were made by RCBS for the american and foriegn cases.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other guy is correct on this one. European cases have often taken a different shell holder. Just call RCBS customer service for the correct numbers. This same situation applies to 7x61 S&H, 6mm/.244 Rem and the 7x57 case family in general, and a couple of others when using cerain european brass.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went out and checked some 30+ year old 7 mm Mag Norma brass and slid the case in a RCBS #4, just like I have for 30+ years. The note
Quote:

*Some Browning, DWM Lapua, Norma, RWS and Sako cases require an RCBS #26 Shellholder

appears on the Midway site for the #4, but it certainly doesn't seem to apply to old brass and old shell holder.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quantity of Norma 7x61 S&H cases from the 1950's requires RCBS #26. Ditto some 308 Norma Mag. cases of uncertain vintage ('70s?). Neither will fit in a RCBS #4. However, a standard Redding #6 will accomodate both without difficulty, as will their #6 'competition' shellholder set.

Go figure.

Jim

Posts: 94 | Location: Upper Left Coast, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote