Find
Notify
Tools

45ACP and 9mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted
What are good powders to start with for these? Was thinking 230gr cast RN for the 45 and 124gr cast for the 9mm.

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't speak for the .45, but I just went through the same quandry for the 9mm. Thanks to some good advice from members on this forum I'm shooting 1" groups at 25 yards with the 124gr Lee TC bullets and AA #5 powder.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win 231/HP38 (the same powder) or bullseye will work well in both for target loads with cast bullets.

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AA #5 is the Accuate Arms equivalent of Unique, from what they told me years ago. I have shot a lot of it out of both the ACP and the nine. I shot six grains behind a 125-grain cast in the nine, and if memory serves, about 6.8 grains behind a 200-grain H & G 68.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Power pistol for the 45

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Unique is a good generic powder for most pistol loads. Universal, Red-dot, and Bullseye alos.

I'm running 5.2 grains of Unique with 230 LRN, right around 850 fps. I've ran Unique for .38 Special too. Haven't tried 9mm yet but 4.1 to 4.5 grains of Unique is listed for 125 LRN in Speer #12. With all the 9mm I have and as little as I shoot it I haven't set up my press for it yet. For the longest time it cost just as much to reload it as buy new.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've been using Red Dot for .45ACP 230gr LRN & 200gr LSWC for three years with no problems.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
I use Unique in all my pistols.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can depend on your loading technique.

If you are loading single stage you can find a way to use even poor measuring powders to work.

With a progressive set up it is nice to have a smooth measuring spherical powder that nearly fills the case. This will protect you from bridging and double charges. Otherwise you will need some sort of lock out die or be able to visually inspect each charge before bullet seating. Without these safety features, with high volume loading sooner or later you will have an over charge or double charge.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a progressive set up it is nice to have a smooth measuring spherical powder that nearly fills the case. This will protect you from bridging and double charges. Otherwise you will need some sort of lock out die or be able to visually inspect each charge before bullet seating. Without these safety features, with high volume loading sooner or later you will have an over charge or double charge.

SR, please tell me how to do what you said above, with a progressive press that advances every time you pull the handle? I am sorry, but in over 30 years of loading and most of them progressive, I have NEVER had a double charge, and don't remember a squib load either. It just isn't that hard if you pay attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:

SR, please tell me how to do what you said above, with a progressive press that advances every time you pull the handle? I am sorry, but in over 30 years of loading and most of them progressive, I have NEVER had a double charge, and don't remember a squib load either. It just isn't that hard if you pay attention.

You just have a charge bridge between the measure and the case. You get one round with no powder and the next with a double charge.
You have to remember a lot of the progressive loaders (the users) only focus on speed not safety or quality.
Talk to pistol shooters and they will often admit to this.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like someone told me when I started reloading for pistol; Unique...it's not the best in anything but it works damn good in everything.
And so far I've found that to be very true.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IanD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will be loading on a Dillon Square Deal. I was hoping for a clean burning powder, so maybe W231 is a good choice.

Posts: 366 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load both on a square deal, 200 LSWC with VV n-310 for .45 and 147 montana gold with VV n-320 for 9mm. Both powders are very clean

One of Us
posted Hide Post
231 is a very good choice.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red dot, green dot, herco have all worked well for me for 40 some years.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm still shaking my head to the "nearly fills the case" statement

Not in pistol loading!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, your statement is generally correct. You know, as do I, that in both the 45 case and the nine, there are darned few powders that will do that and still be safe. In fact, probably only Trail Boss, and it is too darned expensive...

In the magnums, there are a few more, but not many.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In magnums, there are plenty of powder to fill the case, AA#9, WC296, Win 297, H110, 2400, lil gun, and I'm sure there are others.

In general I subscribe to the "fill the case" philosophy. With short barreled pistols, it is necessary to load them a bit different, but it's still possible to use a slow enough powder that a double charge will be unmistakeable. I hope to never touch off a double charge. Knowing that I'm human, and therefore, I will make mistakes, I design my loads to reveal any dangerous errors before they become a problem.

In a 9mm, a double charge of aa5, and a 124gr bullet will not all fit in the case at the same time. With bullseye, it's a different matter. I imagine you could have a tripple charge and still seat the bullet comfortably.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May not be the best but I have plenty of Solo 1000 around the house since I use it for my 12ga target loads been working great for both the 9 and 45 have shot thousands of rounds no problem.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote