THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 264 Winchester loads with Reloader 25 powder

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 264 Winchester loads with Reloader 25 powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Did you try the combo yet?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .264, old Mod. 70-26" bbl and I started with RE-22 and was not happy, poor groups, low velocities and pressure signs. So, I tried the following:

WW brass, CCI 250, Nosler Pt. 140 gr. IMR-7828-63 grs.

Velocity is 3275 fps. .6 groups @ 100---2 more grs. with the Nosler Pt. 125 gr.=3375fps. and similiar groups.

This is the best .264 recipe I have ever seen in 36 yrs. handloading.These are MAX functional loads in my rifle, start 4 grs. lower to be safe.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man that sounds HOT!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 25 is supposed to be only very slightly slower than RL 22, and that would be acceptable, but a tad fast, for the .264 using 140 grain bullets (at least in the guns I have worked with -- and I'm the first to profess that guns of the same caliber can vary tremendously).

I have had excellent results with surplus WC 872. In the lots I've worked with it is significantly slower than H-870 and uses a slightly compressed load in my guns. Velocity, consistency, and accuracy have been gratifying with this powder.

I'm not saying that RL 25 won't work either acceptably or even very well for you, but I'm thinking it a little volatile for my guns.

But ain't them .264's the cat's whiskers?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know, it surprised me too, so I checked the Chroney reading against a Oehler 35P and the average was within 15fps. Hodgedon #27 shows 65gr.-140 Sierra, so, what can I say.I don't know if every lot of 7828 will do this, but, I am 2 grs. below a stiff bolt lift !?

I bought this rifle for less than $400.00 US and was going to strip it for the action as I have 4 Pre-64 .338s and wanted another with a stainless bbl. The rifle was near mint, so, I decided to testfire it-now it is in a Micky G&H with Leupie DDs and a Leupie Vari-X III 3.5x10x50-good for shooting Deer of powerlines in late season against the snow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my reloading scale back from Dillion .I didnt trust my scale it was not holding a good zero.I am going to have the throat lengthened so I can use these Lapula 155 gr bullets loaded out as far as the magazine allows.I shot 3/8" group at 200 yards with these Lapula bullets but need to seat them out further.Right now I can only seat the Remington 140 gr corelocks magazine length.They are good bullets but nothing like the Lapula 155 gr bullets.I am going to try the Reloader 25 loads with the Remington bullet and see if it helps it.I can only get 1.5" groups with the 140 gr Rem with H-870.I have a crap load of the Norma MPR which is supose to be Reloader 22 also.I am trying to get a good load asap so I dont end up burning out this barrel.I think this stainless barrel should last alot longer than a blued one.I like the reloader 25 its alot cleaner burning than the H-870 powder.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys want to save a bunch of money, and wind up with better powder in the process, try some WC-872 Ball Powder from Jeff Bartlett at www.gibrass.com This stuff is slower than Reloader 25, and costs about 1/4, as much. It flows thru a measure easily, and can be loaded using H870 data. I'm thru paying upward of $25.00 a pound for powder. This stuff is the most accurate powder I've tried yet in my .338-378 Weatherby Accumark. WC-852 is great in the .30-06, and .300 Winchester Mag., and the .300 Weatherby Mag. It can be loaded to IMR 4831 data. This stuff is truly one of the last good buys left for the handloader. I use it almost exclusively. If you purchase 6, 8lb. jugs he pays the hazmat fee. Can't beat it with a stick ! Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
dgr416,

Getting powder to Alaska is easy, all that is necessary is it come Next Day UPS or the same FEDEX. The hard part is finding anyone who sells powder that knows this.

These guys will sell and ship all you want:
http://www.hi-techammo.com/

Also, Natchez Shooters Supply will ship to Alaska. Again it will be spendy.

If you have the time you can always have the powder shipped up via a freight forwarder. Look in the phone book, there are at least 6-8 with Seattle tool-free numbers. Call them and set it up. Pretty easy. The cost is about $50.00 for anything up to ~400 pounds so get a group of guys going in on it and cut your costs. When you order, tell the person that it will be going through a freight forwarder, they will have two addys on the package, the F.F. and yours. It goes to Seattle, is put on a barge and shipped up, then you can go to the docks to get it or have it delivered depending on where you live. This is how all the shops up here get their stuff.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took as much ammo as I could on planes before 911 happened.I have so much ammo I left behind in Ga its not funny.Its still at my parents.I usually mail brass and bullets.I also heard aircargo will ship 40 pounds of ammo at a time.I am glad Sportsmans Warehouse is opening hopefully they have cheap powder and shot for shotguns.I cant find any shot in Fairbanks .I am loading some new loads today hope to shoot them soon as weather warms.I am tryinG to get throat lengthened also .Its weird the Remington and Winchester bullets are only ones that are double diameter.I wish that with the 6.5 mm Rem mag coming back Winchester would bring back the 264 Win Mag.I could kick my butt Kmart before they closed had a 264 win mag with a boss on it.They finally marked it down and someone working there got it.I also passed on a Super Mag Model 70 264 win mag.I love this stainless Ruger All Weather 264 win mag its a working rifle not too pretty to hunt with!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I am at the university here in Squarebanks.

Air cargo will ship all you want, how much money do you have?

Air freight charge + HAZ-MAT, it is ORM-D is all.

If you have lots of pounds of ammo, it will be cheaper to have it shipped up via barge. It will land in Anchorage and be brought up here.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote