Find
Notify
Tools

Throat Erosion: Vihtavouri (VV) N550 & N560
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I have both N550 and N560 powders, but have been reluctant to use them. Reason being? Alleged throat erosion.

I've hear rumors for years about the N500 series as well as other double based powders causing excessive throat wear. So I did a search on here as well as google and found a lot of chatter on the subject.

Most of it can be summarized with this statement found over on 24 Hour Camp"feud":

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...php/topics/3033007/2

"I tried to tell you about this yesterday, but nobody will listen. You wont get quite as much speed with the VVN150 as you will with the VVN550 but as a more than adequate trade-off you will get about twice the number of shots before re-barrel time, as an added bonus VVN150 is also cheaper adding to the bargain!!! RC828 p.s. the biggest difference between these two powder's is that 150 is a single base powder and 550 is a double base, the double base has a higher flame temp and for some reason VihtaVuori's flame temp exceeds other manufacturers that also use a double formula."

So what is your opinion? Does anybody have any experience with the powder?

I am trying it in my 300 WSM and 280 Ackley Imp.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The double based powders contain a small amount of Nitro Glycern (SP error, I know I missed that day too!) to boost the energy contained in the powder. The hotter burn is a by product of that compromise. To say that you will only get 1/2 as many shots per barrel is utter Bull Crap in my opinion.

I use VV 530, VV 540, VV 550 and have superior results with them... works for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenati, I asked the same question regarding the new Reloader 17 as it is a double base high energy powder also and responses varied widely (IIRC on 24Hr). I wish you luck as this seems to be a tough question to get a consensus on and some seem to take any discussion of shortcomings of their favorite powder personally.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I asked the same question directly to Vihtavuori tech dep. They admitted that their N5xx powders are aggressive and one would prefer the N1xx if throat erosion is a concern. The N5xx make a bigger blast at the muzzle and a more intense flash; furthermore IMO they heat barrels more than other powders, making summertime target shooting problematic. That's why I quit using them.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
A couple of years ago, I asked the same question directly to Vihtavuori tech dep. They admitted that their N5xx powders are aggressive and one would prefer the N1xx if throat erosion is an issue. The N5xx make a bigger blast at the muzzle and a more intense flash; furthermore IMO they heat barrels more than other powders, making summertime target shooting problematic. That's why I quit using them.

Thank all of you for the replies.

That is what I kind of expected. At least the manufacturer admits to it.

So I guess the bottom line is this:

Hunting Rifle: If it works significantly better than other available single-based powders, then I'd still go with it as throat erosion will be minimal due to the limited number of rounds fired.

Varmint/Target Rifle: I doubt I'd use it due to the number of shots fired as well as the reduced length of time between consecutive shots.

Thanks again!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a white paper on this somewhere .....

coffee

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will share my experience with N-560.
I have a custom built rifle on a '96 Mauser action. Chambered in 6.5 x 55 Swede. Using Sierra's 120 gr MK bullet, Fed 210 primer, various cases, and VihtaVuori N-560 powder. The rifle is quite accurate.
I have a round count just over 1000. And if there is any excessive throat erosion, I haven't been able to tell by the rifles accuracy. It will still hit a 3/8" steel rod hanging at 200 yds with enjoyable regularity.
Aim small hit small.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
That's impressive. And good news as well.