New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Of Winchester H&H Brass
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We buy our brass in bulk, and sorted it out after being prepared.

We size them all, then trim and uniform the primer pockets and flash holes.

After that we weigh them.

We had 906 cases of 375 H&H from Winchester, and here is the weighed distribution

243 grains 5
244 grains 8
245 grains 35
246 grains 99
247 grains 300
248 grains 352
249 grains 105
250 grains 2

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Seems decent. I have heard that the newly packaged Winchester brass ( black and red bags) isn't as good as the older stuff (white and blue bags)

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
Seems decent. I have heard that the newly packaged Winchester brass ( black and red bags) isn't as good as the older stuff (white and blue bags)

Funny enough you are the third person who says this.

These were from old stock, came in large clear bag in a cardboard box years ago.

We always follow the same procedure with all our brass, and I think the worst we have had were Remington.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I haven't had bad batch Remington brass but don't use as much as you do.
Do you think you have enough brass? You must shoot buffalo like we shoot gophers! clap

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My hunting rifles are based on the 404 case.

And I have large cardboard drums of Norma 404 cases!

I suspect they would last me a lifetime clap

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Based upon the data you supplied above, what do you do with it now. I would suspect you have an upper and lower cut off limit and pull those pieces of brass.

Just curious.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Keep all between 246 and 249g then chuck the rest.
I won't run the histogram for this lot, but that seems to pass the first-blush test of reason...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Saeed,

Based upon the data you supplied above, what do you do with it now. I would suspect you have an upper and lower cut off limit and pull those pieces of brass.

Just curious.

Nothing goes to waste here.

And frankly, there is nothing wrong with this lot at all.

What I do is select 100 cases and use these for one rifle.

And if we have built the rifle, those case last a long time, as we chamber our rifles to minimum chamber dimensions - in fact, I never cut a chamber that a GO gage will fit in. I use a new case which I selected years ago with the smallest dimensions that I could find.

I have chambered so many belted magnums using it, and have never had a single one not accept factory ammo??!!

The ones from 245 to 249 are going to be used that way.

The extreme ones we set aside and use for sighters or as trial case for wildcats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your entire spread is what? 3.sumthin percent.
split it in half and your well within neck tension and primer variances.
re-champher the case mouths on the heavy ones i bet things get even closer.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more question since they're Win.

How many have you found that didn't have any ? fire hole punched in them? That's been the
problem I've seen with Win bagged brass. Just about every bag of 50 has at least one, sometimes three that way. The guys I hunt elk with bought 500 pcs of .300Win/m brass. There was around 23-26 without holes and I even found 3 I know of that were still SOLID heads, not even punched for a primer pocket. Damned poor QC imo. These were bought about 4-5 years ago. They were given a full bag of 50 to replace about half a bag. They came out ahead other than the PITA and extra drive across town to the store.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote