THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lot to Lot Variation in Alliant Powders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been seeing a lot of postings on various boards discussing lot to lot variations in Rl 22. Over the years, I've used IMR powders for most of my rifle reloading. I've used Alliant/Hercules for handgun and shotgun reloading, but they seem to be very different from the Reloader powders. I've only started using Alliant Reloader series in the last five years. I'm curious if you guys are seeing lot to lot variation in the other Reloader series powders that is being reported for RL 22.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use very little RL22, however I have been using RL15 for about 10yrs in a variety of calibers including 22-250, 250/3000, 250Ackley, and 308. I have experienced no discernable difference in pressure signs or POI.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the entire R/L series has improved greatly in the past decade, but I wouldn't say it is as consistent as the IMR series has been. I have had issues with different lots of RL19 & RL22, but that doesn't make it a bad powder.

I believe that Vihta Vuori powders were once in a position to overtake the R/L powders, but spotty inventories and higher prices prevented them from doing so.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I think it is possible that I've loaded more Reloder 22 than any other powder. I have never had a problem. However, about 8 years ago, I did contact them to enquire about the problem with a bad lot of the stuff.

They sent me 4 pounds at no charge.

I've used the powder in probably 7 different states and provinces in various rifles and elevations and temperatures. I've never ever had a problem with it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used at least five pounds of RL-22 over the past several years - no two from the same lot - never had any issues.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had significant problems in the past, but things are improving. RL-22 used to be the Norma MRP that didn't meet specs. Now that Alliant is a big boy on the block, they sing the tune and Bofors now gets to dance.

Still, I use MRP over RL-22. Just habit I guess.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had very Erratic PRE readings as I approached Safe Max Loads with RL-19, 22 and 25. But it has been at least 10 years ago that I tried them. Used 2-3# of each to see if it was Lot Specific, but I got the same thing in each Lot.

Gave it all to a buddy with a 25-06 and a 270Win and he also noted the Erratic nature as he approached a Safe max. He gave the remaining Powder to another buddy and I'm fairly sure he just used it for Fire Forming, but that could be wrong.

Alliant makes other "Faster" Powders that I've used for years. I just find Hodgdon and IMR have met my needs better in rifle Powders.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lawndart:
I have had significant problems in the past, but things are improving. RL-22 used to be the Norma MRP that didn't meet specs. Now that Alliant is a big boy on the block, they sing the tune and Bofors now gets to dance.

Still, I use MRP over RL-22. Just habit I guess.

I use lots of MRP and no RL22 for the same reasons.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Allient powders are the mainly my "Go To" powders. I have been shooting them for ten years and have shot them from Alaska to Africa and all temperatures between. I have 26 pounds of RL-22 (.257 Wby--.270 WSM--.300 Winny-.358 STA--.416 Rigby)of three different lots. When you open a new lot of any powder, you should step back a grain or two and work back up, regardless of brand. I also shoot a good deal of RL-19 (.338 Lapua--.340 Wby--7mm STW), RL-25 (.243 WSSM--.257 Wby--.270 WSM), and RL-15 for my .416 Remington. I also shoot several Hodgdon, IMR, Accurate and Winchester powders. I load for 7 of my Elk hunting buddies who shoot RL-22 in their .300 Winnys and have for years. I find the Allient powders no more sensitive than any other powders. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I've probably used 4 pounds of RL22 and haven't had any problems. The loads I first worked up with it still shoot great with the newer powder.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote