New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reason to not crimp?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know it takes more time ( if you seat and crimp in separate operations ) and I know some gun styles dont require it , but is there anything that crimping anyway would hurt? I would think it would make all rounds alittle more consistent by raising pressure before the bullet left the case. Is my thinking all wrong here?Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Depends on what your reloading. I don't crimp unless I have too, like with my 44 mag. For rifle, I usually don't. Only time I saw it useful was for my 300Ultra Mag with 200gr A-frames. It improved my groups. But thats the only time I see it with rifles. But for target loads in my pistols, I don't bother.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use a crimp in my repeating guns, ie pistols and lever action. I would alos suggest crimping when using a repeating bolt gun in a heavy caliber, not for any kind of consistency, but instead to kepp your OAL correct under heavy recoil.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I don't crimp for mid size bolt action rifles. I do crimp for large bore revolvers and autoloader rifles and pistols. It won't hurt to crimp unless you over do it. That can lead to pressure problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason for NOT crimping is accuracy.
In my experience,crimped rounds are less accurate.
Some rounds have to be crimped,you have no choice.
Some rounds loaded with old brass,that were reloaded many times,may shoot better if crimped.
Otherwise,save your time.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote