THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 30/06, 180 grain Bullet 2900 fps? Published P

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 30/06, 180 grain Bullet 2900 fps? Published P
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I belive you. I got 2850 with my 30-06 with a 180gr Partition and 60.0gr of RL-22. The ole '06 is capable of far more than alot of people give it credit for. One thing that I don't understand is why the 270 is rated for 52,000 cup and the 30-06 is rated for 50,000. Somethimes I think that SAAMI just picks a number and calls it good.

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BRAD
you took the words right out my mouth....and i agree ...THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH VELOCITY EQUALS PRESSURE AND PRESSURE EQUALS VELOCITY
regards daniel

Guys,
someone test that load and see what results...

and PRESSURE does NOT equal velocity... ever.. period...

proof?
hmm, funny... bluedot in a 30/06 at 60000 psi WILL NOT deliver the same velocity as rl 22 at 60000....

which is why there is not ONE powder for everyone to use for everything.. and why there's different powders, in EVERY reloading manual, at about the same MAX ave pressure, that can give HUNDREDS of FPS difference, in the same gun.

guys... PRESSURE means jack didley... area under the pressure curve, over TIME means WORK.. work(less friction and inertia), in this case, means velocity

this one just kills me.. that someone might EVER think the max pressure load that their rifle can handle is 100% of the time the FASTEST load their rifle can produce....

perfect powder choices for an example, win 742 and win 760... both loaded in win reloading manuals http://www.winchester.com/pdf/reload.pdf

the SAME pressure
and 150 fps(iirc) different vels in 30/06

jeffe

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should just mention that the Nosler reloading manual has the 180 partition going 2880 fps with RL22. That is the highest published velocity I've seen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why, thank you Hot Core. You haven't added to the list since Item 3.1, a few months ago. I am so pleased to have a new item, 4.2, "Issues childish insults rather than presenting facts." Thank you so much for this addition. You continue to be an almost endless source of free amusement.

Quote:

1. Standard list of Hot Core fabrications, unsupported by any known facts or credible references---

1.1. Mounting a strain gage on a rifle will spoil the accuracy.

1.2. You need a CMM to measure the ID and OD of a chamber.

1.3. Mounting a strain gage will rust your rifle.

1.4. Strain gage systems cannot be calibrated, and the results are just a guess.

1.5. PRE is completely repeatable and reliable.

1.6. PRE is calibrated.

1.7. Claims to have 20 years of experience with strain gages.

1.8. Claims that strain gages don�t work outside a laboratory.

2. Standard list of Hot Core self-contradictions�

2.1. Claims that you can, and that you cannot use factory ammunition as a maximum pressure reference.

2.2. Claims that you need SAAMI standard ammunition to calibrate a strain gage, but that you don�t need it to calibrate PRE.

2.3. Claims that you cannot use chamber dimensions to calibrate a strain gage, but that you can use brass dimensions to calibrate PRE.

2.4. Claims that he gets four significant digits measuring brass with a micrometer, but the rest of us can�t get three when measuring a chamber.

3. Hot Core logical fallacies/half truths--

3.1 Hot Core can teach anyone to use a micrometer in five minutes, and it is a precise instrument. Since it is a precision instrument, and easy to use, it follows that the dimensions of a brass casing accurately and precisely reflect the pressure of a load.

4. Most childish Hot Core behavior�

4.1. Resorts to name calling when things aren�t going his way.

4.2 Issues childish insults rather than presenting facts.

5. Actual experiment says�

5.1. Strain gage systems are very repeatable, and the one I have tested is on a par with equipment currently in use by people who write reloading books. Two cartridges subjected to the same peak pressure give you very close to the same peak reading, routinely.

5.2. Strain gage systems are easily calibrated, and they routinely produce peak pressure readings that correspond with the expected pressures of commercial ammunition.

5.3. PRE and CHE are very non-repeatable. Two cases subjected to the same pressure produce the same dimension only if you are very lucky.

5.4. Details of how to replicate my experiment have been posted, for anyone who cares to try it. You can love it, or you can hate it. The data don�t care.

6. Ken Waters actually said�

6.1. PRE is inferior to strain gages and to CUP.

6.2. PRE is a relative system only. (Relative system = not calibrated.)

6.3. Speaking of PRE, �,,,no such system of judging pressures can reveal the actual pressure in pounds per square inch or copper units of pressure.�

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... PRESSURE does NOT equal velocity... ever.. period...

I'll do a quick "Odds Calculation" concerning denton's ability to comprehend and understand that basic fact.

Let's see here, add this, subtract that, multiply by the length of a Strain Gauge and divide by the wire diameter leading from the Gauges (to trip over). Oh yes, the rusting barrel Fudge Factor where the Gauges are glued.

And we come up with: Odds of denton understanding = 0%

And of course,

HSGS = Reloader's Pyrite(aka Fool's Gold)

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Riley,
On one ocassion it was the Remington RN corelokt and military ball..Took 3 hits but I have had them take more than that with a .470 or 500...Another time with GI ball..another with a 308 and military ball...mostly cows but on one ocassion I shot two bulls at the same time with some kind of foriegn ammo, I think it was RWS..Its not a recommended practice, but one does not turn down the opertunity to go shoot buff....I also shot a couple of buffalo with an 8mm milsurp Mauser, and was furnished a small greasy paper sack full of green old shells that only every 3 one or so would fire, now that got exciting! but it was that or stay at the house with the ladies..

I certainly would prefer at least a 9.3x62 based on those experiences..and a 40 cal. or larger is my preferenc. I will say that it gave me a lot of respect for the old 06 and that remains to this day...I would use it again on any animal if thats what I had...I know a lot of africans that shot their first elephant with a 30-06 and a good solid..

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My apologies Brad.

It was daniels post that had that load data. Your post was right after his and had his post as a quote.

Sorry!

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Slowhand... what's up? I've NEVER claimed to use 58.0 grains of H4350 with a 180 grainer. I've NEVER used more than 57.5 gr's and some 180's require 57.0...????!!!!

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Has this shooting forum gone wild, crazy? I can't believe you guys missed that fact that there are 2, two, 180gr Sierra SPBT bullets listed in the 2004 and the 2003 Hodgdon Basic Reloading manual,RE: MISPRINT, the middle load is for the 165 Sierra SPBT, I caught that right off the bat, I didn't read the whole thread, but from the reading I did, obviously noone caught it, 2938fps from a 180gr 3006 with commercial powder, sounds like a "pipe dream". No offence intended. Have a nice day, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
No worries SH... I was just a bit confused as I generally know what I've said on these threads... ok...,,, I generally "think" I know what I've said !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hunterbug...

I think the difference in SAAMI specs between the '06 and the 270 probably comes from the fact that there are older, weaker '06 actions still around. That didn't happen to the 270, so you can set a spec for the 270 that is a bit higher.

I wish I could warp my thoughts like that.

30-06 is 60 kpsi

270 is 65 kpsi

proof loads are 1.3 to 1.4 for centerfire rifles, there fore:

30-06 proof is 78 to 84 kpsi

270 proof is 84.5 kpsi to 91 kpsi

Imagine the 4140 chamber has a yield strength of 100 ksi and the brass is .040" thick and has a yield of 63 ksi.

The inside of the case is .47 - [[2] .040] = .39"

S = ID P /2 thickness

P = 2 S thick /ID = 2 63k .040 / .39 = 13 kpsi held by the brass

Thickness of 30-06 wall = ID P /2 S = .39 [84 kpsi - 13 kpsi ] /2 100k = .13845" thick chamber wall

Thickness of 270 wall = .39 [91k-13k ] /2 100k = .1521" thick chamber wall

Finding a rifle that can shoot 30-06 and not 270 would be like looking for a rifle with chamber wall between .13845" thick and .1521" thick.

That is .014" difference in wall thickness, easily measured with calipers. The easy way to find one is outside diameter.

The magical 30-06 needs a barrel with an outside diameter over the rear of the chamber between .7469" and .7742".

I just measured some 30-06 barrels, and non of mine are magic. All of mine are over an inch.

At 1.1" thick, all of my 30-06s are good for

P = 2 S thick /ID + 13k = 2 100k [[1.1 - .47]/2]/.39 + 13k = 175,000 psi.

And as I look at .270 barrels, THEY are all 1.1" thick too, and good for 175,000 psi.

Nope, no magic barrels here.

That must be why I lack the ability to warp my thoughts, not enough magical objects in my immediate environment.

Or maybe the force is weak inside me to warp my thougts to fit the idea that there is good reason for the difference in SAAMI max pressures for 30-06 and .270.

I must lack the load book fundamentalism that could create a strong warp force in me.

Denton, I feel we are going over the same issues for years, and nothing changes. You have a fear of pressure. You must overcome the fear. To face your fear, I want you to blow up 10 guns with overload work ups. You will find it is not so easy to blow up a gun. You will become a new Denton, one who comes to trust thick steel and a brass seal. You will learn to work up to the stuck bolt, and work back down to accuracy, while knowing the real limits. You will finally give up the fear and ignorance. You will handload on the next level.

And while you pass into the warrior state, I will become the old you and warp my thoughts. I will make peace with SAAMI. I go on to write a load book for God.

--

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
My bottom line is, apart from using a strain gauge or other pressure testing equipment, the best way to stay within safe pressure limit's is to stay at or under max book loads (taken from a variety of sources, not just one) and use a chronograph. Period. Velocities are a known quantity and I've always been within 50 fps (+/-) compared with averaged book loads (taking barrel length's into account) in the over 45 rifles I've loaded for... there are no magic loads. Some powders work better than other's in a given case. Case capacity counts. It's simple.

SeaFire is predisposed to pushing the envelope and apparently will accept anyting written on a page as gospel if it supports his fantasies. That's how biases work. I didn't NEED to call Hodgdon to know that was a typo as my experience already told me it was and I'm not under the delusion/illusion that a 30-06 with anyting short of a 27" barrel will do 2,900 fps with a 180 and a safe powder charge of anything currently found on what we call earth (aka, the real world).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure Brad .

Bob Hagel published 2900fps/180 gr loads in Handloader years ago with powders such as Norma 205 and MRP . Even the cautious Ken Waters was right up there with some MRP loads.

I think it is doable in a 24 inch barrel at pressure likely no higher than many .270 loads .

No doubt such loads exceed SAAMI , but I really doubt the 06 case stuffed full of SLOW powder is any harder on the gun than WSM loads with the heavier bolt thrust in inherit with that cartridge design and pushed to 65000psi .

And no one would think a thing if a WSM shooter was using max book loads at 65000psi , yet , the WSM shooter doesn't really have a clue whether his rifle is operating at 63000 or 68000.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a Remington 721 30-06 rifle with its 24" barrel, I got a chronographed 2860 f.p.s from a load using 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, 57.5 grains of H4350, Remington brass, Remington 9 1/2 primer, loaded to an overall length of 3.32 inches. I was actually surprised when I chronographed this load, as I expected it to be under 2800 f.p.s.

I have no doubt that if I were to increase the powder charge by a grain I could get 2900+ f.p.s. and that I could do so safely, especially if I switched to Winchester brass, because Winchester brass usually has slightly greater powder capacity than Remington brass.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark Remember the origional 1895 Winchester lever actions that were factory chambered for the 30-Govt-03 and 30-Govt-06 cartridges (but not the 270)? SAMMI does, and the pressure spec refelcts that.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
SD, some say there are no "fast" barrels, some say there are. I tend to think there are but they're anomolies and certainly not to be relied upon to set a benchmark or goal for velocity. A couple years ago I posted a survey of 30-06 owners here on AR and tallied all velocities from those that responded... I'll dig it up for you (I believe it was on the big game section).

Here it is:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=818622&Main=119580#Post818622

BA