Find
Notify
Tools

Speer 100 grs Plinker in .308 rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I don't have the Speer reloading
manual, can somebody state some (reduced)
loads for .308 to use with the Speer
100 grs Plinker (with the leadhead).
Preferably with 'normal' powders like N140,
no fast pistolpowders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried those bullets in my 30-06 and could never get them to shoot any good too fast and they must sheer thru the rifling too slow and improper powder ignition would occur, you may try case filler in the case for better ignition.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Speer manual No9 the only reduced load they show is with SR4759.
Start with 16 grains, vel.1548.
Max load 20gr, vel 1960

Speer No 12 does not show N140, but they do show N120.
Start with 35gr for 2829fps, Max 39gr for 3143fps.

Just for info 20.5gr of 2400 gives 2040fps.

Hope this helps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersStart with 18 gr. 4759 and work up to23gr.my best result was at 22gr. 2055fps avg. 3 shot 1/8" group at 50 yds. BOOMroger mgun

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boy about 40 or 50 years ago we used to have a blast using plinkers loaded up with 4895 in an m1 and going out jackrabbit shooting. I don't know whether they were going straight or sideways, but when the rabbit was running like hell and 200 yards away, you sure can make dirt fly with them. fun times

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops - forgot - don't use them when shooting rats in a dump like a friend did - they blow the sh-tt out of a rat and the first thing you know you're covered with blown up rat guts. but it was fun

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since, you have some data to work with,i dont need to cover the pages with anymore.I use to load those 100 grain half jacketed Speer plinkers in 30-06 as well as in a 300 Mashburn Mag. for rabbits in the desert. They are blappers!

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best use I have ever found for the Speer Plinker has been in the .30 Luger pistol cartridge. Turns that little round into a screaming demon with all that exposed soft lead. Been using that recipe since 1971.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This weekend I will try 18 grs of N110
in a 7.5X55 Swiss (K31)...

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
It is the only bullet that I have found that will reliably expand out of an M1 carbine. Accurate in it, too. (withing limits of the cartridge, anyway)

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
The best use I have ever found for the Speer Plinker has been in the .30 Luger pistol cartridge. Turns that little round into a screaming demon with all that exposed soft lead. Been using that recipe since 1971.

LLS

Also good in the 32-20 T/C.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brayhaven, I'll have to try that too!!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I pulled some bullets from 7.62 x 39 cases and loaded some of these to about 22-2300 fps. We had a lawn orniment deer down at our range and we were playing with the rifles shooting it full of holes and they would just go striaght through the thin plastic showing no sign of a hit.Well, for the heck of it I tried to hit it with the SKS and the bullets opened up so easily they left quarter size entry holes in it and it would shutter violently when hit. Very cool, and everyone wanted to know what the heck I was shooting.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those bullets performed well in T/C 15" Encore handgun barrel, indoor range but has short seating depth so really wouldn't depend on it too much for LR hunting.....r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
How do they compare in explosiveness compared to the 110 grain V-Max?

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballistically the plinker with his BC of only
0.122 cannot compete with the 110gr Honady
with a BC of 0.290. For the impact :
I guess the plinker will mushroom too much for
adequate hunting, destroying too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had success with this bullet in both the 300 H&H and 30-06. Rabbits will do a full reverse gainer with layout when hit in the sit bones.