THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    can anyone run quickload or equiv for a 7X65R load?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can anyone run quickload or equiv for a 7X65R load?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for pressure infor on Nosler partition 150 grains, over 55, 56, and 57 grains of N160 in a 7X65R case.

I found a listed load for nosler partitions 160 grain, of 57 grains max for N160.

About the same as in a 7X64 or 280 Remington, although these are touch smaller capacity cases.

chronoed velocity from a 24 inch barrel is in the 2850-3000 fps range.

thanks for the help.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your load seems a little hot to me.

I test my loads in an insturmented 27" M39, and my best load for a 150 grain bullet gives me 2840 fps and just over 50 KPSI.

If you're trying for something under 52 KPSI, rather than 58 KPSI like a 30-06, odds are that you're getting a higher pressure than you want.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duh! Thinking of a different caliber. Disregard previous.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jameister:
I couldn't find a 150 gr partition in the quick load data base. But they did have the 150 gr balistic tip. And I don't have one handy to measure, so I ran the balistic tip. You decide if the info relates and how it may do so.
24 inch barrel
powder VihtaVuori N160
Nosler 150 gr balistic tip
Predicions are as follows
55gr N160 -- 49128 psi --- 2775 fps
56gr N160 -- 52143 psi --- 2828 fps
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
57gr N160 -- 55362 psi --- 2880 fps
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PLEASE NOTE !
QUICKLOAD LISTS MAX PRESSURE FOR THIS CARTRIDGE AS 55114 psi!
YOUR 57 GR LOAD IS OVER THIS FIGURE!
F.Y.I.
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Jameister you have a high pressured load,V 0 is verry high,even higher as a 7 x 64.
In a break-open action it looks way to hot to me.
Hugh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for helping me confirm that the 57 grains is a HOT LOAD.

This exact same rifle can be bought chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum, and also in 300 Winchester Magnum, which are higher pressure loads than that, so I do not worry as much as I would if I were shooting in an oldstyle double rifle or Kipplaufbuchsen.

Nonetheless, I noticed a bit sticky opening with the 57 grain load and do not believe I would want to try it again. Although the .5 group of three shots touching was the best so far for that rifle [Frown]

Methinks 56-56.5 grains is just fine, that will be 2950 to 3000 fps which is just fine.

thanks again.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Jameister,your last post make me believe your rifle is a Blazer wich is strong enough for magnums etc.
My, and others,experience with Blazers is they have a narrow barrel, ore something,easily causing high pressure,but very accurate.
At least in in a .243 R 83.

Hugh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
very close, not a blazer, but a merkel K-1.

These are both built on the jaeger design of single shot rifles with the interlocking lug.

the pictures of the lockups for the blaser K95 and the merkel K-1 look almost identical to me.

best regards

Jameister

<hd352802>
posted
Indeed the same lockup system but the merkel has not the narrow barrel, I believe.
Hugh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh: What kind of accuracy do you get with your blaser 243?

I am working loads to get to half inch for three shots. So far I have a bunch of 1.5 inch loads, and some 2 inch loads, and a very few less than one inch.

My best so far is the 57 grains of N160 which placed three into .6 inch string. this load produces over 3000 fps or.else my chrony is inaccurate.

<hd352802>
posted
Jameister, I don't own the Blazer myself but loaded 243 ammunition for a friend using a time tested load I use myself in a Ruger and some other friends in a Remington with good results and no trouble whatsoever, untill I loaded the same loads for the Blazer.
The friend in question took the ammunition on a huntingtrip to Hungary, without testing them.
He shot several roebucks with it, one at a (claimed)distance of 300 meters,with a grain of salt I think.
I never seen the groups,but they must be close.
Till he discovered at a later shootingsession the primers were falling out their pockets,thats the reason I know Blazers can cause trouble.
I am not the only one with that experience,i know some other guy who had the same trouble.
My friend continued to use the ammo because it was so "powerfull" and accurate,despite the fact that I insisted to unload the timebombs.
His ammo worked well in my Ruger when I tested it to see what was wrong.Still don't know.
3000 f/ps seems a pretty high velocity from a 7x65R with 57 gr of N160.
58 gr of N160 gives me ~880 m/sec with 140 gr Sierra in 7x64.
Enjoy your Merkel!
Hugh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a new digital scale.

Guesss what? I calibrated the digital scale with the 20 gram weight, it is within 1%.

My powder measure throwing a 57 grain load as measured on the old balance beam scale, measured 57.5 on the digital scale.

A digital scale 56.5 was a balance beam 56. So my loads that seemed HOT were in fact half grain heavier than the max loads intended.

Backed down to 56.5 on the calibrated scale, and will try them for size. should be about 2950 fps with my chrony, which will also be calibrated on saturday next!

Jameister

<hd352802>
posted
A calibrating weight is a good tip,getting one right away! A beamscale is indeed not always correct.I don't know about a digital one.
Hugh.