Notify
Tools

copper bullet journey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted
Saeed,

does there exist a thread(threads) documenting your journey to making your own copper bullets?

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, but here is a quick recap.

Had my first introduction to bullet making and reloading in a zoo.

I had two friends, from Austria, both have been in Dubai for years.

One was the curator of the local zoo, and one was a pilot with our police force.

They both enjoyed shooting and reloading.

One had a tendency to have things happen to him, as demonstrated that first day.

He was showing me how to cast 0.357 bullets, and managed to pour molten lead on his toes!

Started off with LEE LOADERs, and cast bullets and rifle bullets from the usual makers like Hornady and Sierra - Sierra kindly invited me to their factory when I was in the US.

Very impressive operation.

Then I got a Corbin hydraulic press, worked great.

Made thousands of bullets on it, mainly pistol bullets.

Made .224 caliber bullets out of 22 rim fire brass.

Worked as well as any factory bullet.

Then I thought of getting a small lathe, as that would allow me to make any caliber I wished to make.

Our first machine was a Boxford.

Very small table top model.

Worked, but one could hardly ever make two bullets the size diameter!!

That did not bother me, as I made some bullets and used them on safari in Tanzania.

Worked very well too, despite the inconsistence of them.

Then about 20 odd years ago I decided to get a CNC lathe.

I got an EMCO CNC lathe, which worked like a charm for 20 years.

We could make any caliber we wished, up to 24 mm diameter.

That machine became old and hard to service, so I replaced it with a new one in 2019.

This one is also an EMCO, Model E25.

Emco has been exceptional in their after sales service, one could never wish for any better.

The engineers will take a phone call anytime, and spend an hour or more on the phone to solve whatever problem you have.

We have made bullets on this one from 0.12" caliber to 0.700"so far.

Changing from one caliber to another only requires a keyboard input.

Unless the bar diameter is also required to be changed.

We get our copper and brass rods in 2mm increments.

8mm we make into 0.243 to 0.311

10mm makes 0.338 to 0.375 and soon.

To change the diameter of the rod only entails changing the holding collet.

I hope this make sense.

Any questions I will be very happy to answer.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

The question comes from wanting to understand the journey from the standpoint of why you got into copper bullets, where you learned what you didn't know going in and what you learned about adjusting the bullets to meet performance needs.

Like any respectable reloader I have always be into experimentation with bullets, powders and calibers. I started very young, being taught by my crazy uncle Louie before I was 10. Louie and my dad decided that I would only load under Louie's supervision (my dad did not reload, but was a scary good shooter with anything) until I could manage 1 inch groups out of a then newly released .243 model 70 at 200 yards.

Since that time like any reloader I have always been focused on making it all work better. I started with copper bullets from that curiosity and need, and early on decided that the bullets (Barnes early Xs and solids) were uniform as hell, which made it my problem when they didn't shoot accurately. THAT'S why I am curios about your development of your own bullets. I have personally never seen a mono from any manufacturer show evidence of not expanding, but they for sure have their own idiosyncrasies that can make it look like a failure to expand to a more casual observer.

There had to be experimenting with weights, meplats, hollow points. alloys etc, to get bullets you're happy with. I know that I have methodically tested monos on deer, and I find some that I like immensely, and some that "just ain't right" yet. As a competent shooter, I can make them work decently, but they don't work as well as I'd like them too and I have very strong suspicions that it's a matter of a little tweaking. I ONLY shoot deer here. Never had any desire to go shoot something bigger. I cannot imagine designing a bullet and poking a hole in a Cape Buffalo with it to see did it work OK or not. There had to be testing! At least to the point where you had a pretty good idea it would at least expand. You just don't look big and nasty enough to me to be wrestling with one if it didn't work well. I've been (accidentally) close enough to bull moose that did they decide to I needed my ass kicked I was in a world of trouble, and it was more than a little frightening.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, what weight did you make .243 bullets in and what did you use them on?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Only bullets of mine I have used on hunting were 300 grain 375 caliber.

It is the only caliber I hunt with.

We have made bullets for others in all calibers from .224 to .458, in various weights, that have been used for hunting in many countries.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote