New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ended up with the small modification to the bullet seater. However, it got me thinking again....how did the caveman survive without a dremmel tool? Thanks all. Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better check your expander plug too. I once had a set of dies with slightly undersized expander. Too much neck tension caused slightly deformed bullets.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally turn about .003 to .004 off my expander plug in most big bores, and it doesn't deform my bullets???? I do this in coordination with a nearly full case of powder so that all I need is a very very light crimp..It works very well indeed.

I use RCBS dies on my 416s and have not deformed any bullet points with the Nosler, I find that strange and think you may have a die problem as my seater does not even make contact with the point of the bullet and the 416 Noslers are rather blunt for a spitzer??????? Perhaps your powder charge is too dense and putting a lot of force on the bullet when you seat it...Are you easing the bullet in?, just some ideas for what they are worth..

That Nosler in a 416 BTW is one of my all time favorite shoot anything that walks, talks, breathes, or crawls bullet.

Injured bullet points have no ill effect on accuracy as far as hunting goes, and maybe none at all...Anyway a 416 is for shooting nasty stuff up fairly close...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote