Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with loaded .45-70 rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
Yesterday, I have a situation, I haven´t it in my last 15 years of reloading and shooting. I shoot a new reloaded box of 100 round .45-70. I tested this new load befor with 20 round, with no problems, but good accuracy. The new load is 45grs of IMR-4198, behind a 300grs Sierra HP, RWS LR primers and Remington brass. Good, yesterday I shoot at 100m and every 2.or 3. round, there was a break between the trigger pull and the shoot, also "klick", break, "bumm". After 17round I was nerved and finished it. But then, after 2 hours thinking about, what happend, I take my rifle, a high wall and shoot 13 rounds without any problems.
I reloaded in the last 15 years nearly 3000 round of the .45-70 without any problems. I changed never any proceeding in reloading, the only I used a new case lub, the RCBS was empty and now I use the Lyman lub spray. The propelant and the primers I use allthough for other round with no problems. And so, I´m at end.....

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Iam not sure exactly what you are trying to explain but it kind of sounds like a hang fire?
check the thickness of the rim on the new brass some may be thinner and that will change the head space and the firing pin may have to seat the round in the chamber. The other thing may be the primers are not seated to bottom of the pocket and that will cause a hang fire. and in most cases you will have to strike the primer twice to get it to fire. check the protrusion of the firing pin make sure the primeres have a deep cavity.
Is the rifle a trapdoor or a lever gun if its a lever your loads may be too mild.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the above post.

The only time I experienced delayed ignitions/hangfires, was 2 years ago, at the range with low temperature (0°C) and CCI BR LR primers; calibers were 270 WSM and 300 WM. I'm pretty sure that the primers, in connection with the low temp, where the cause.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only thing you changed was the way you lubed the cases.
how much did you get in the cases?
with spray type lubes i lay the cases on their side and spray them.
if i need lube in the neck i put it on a bore mop and swipe it in there.
you may have contaminated your primers somehow.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the hang fires happen with the Highwall or with a Sharps 74? The Sharps 74 might have a bad firing pin. Because of the offset firing pin transfer bar they do not hit the primer very hard.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
"hang fires"! This was the words I seached. Wink
Thank´s to for find the mistake. The rifle is a Browning High Wall, my beloved .45-70 single shot rifle, I have never any problem with the rifle. And the brass i used, was not new, I reloaded it the 6th or 7th time.
The case lube! I mean the problem is the lube inside the brass. The cases are laying on the side and I spray them. But it´s possible that a few lub get into the cases. Roll Eyes
I mean the last reload´s I did, after the "bad 100 rounds", I spry the lube at the lube pad and than I roll the cases. This rounds were without any problems.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
HANG FIRE Part 2:

Saturday, I cleaned my High Wall excessive, and than I tested same rounds. I shoot 3x5 round with different powder/bullet combi, with no problems. I shoot 5 round from the "bad 100", with no problems. Confused
Today, I shoot 5 rounds from a 50 rounds reload, I reloaded yesterday. 58grs R902 and 300grs HP. No problem. I shoot 5 round from the "bad 100", with two hang fires. I shoot 10 rounds with my Sharps rifle, with a load of 35grs IMR-4198 (the same lot#) and a 400grs H+N copper plated bullet. No problems. Now, I pulled all bullets of the rest of 60 rounds. The propelant is O.K., nothing wrong to see. Next saturday, I will fire same round only with the primer. And I will load same rounds with the 400grs bullet.
I´m at end, CRYBABY either the primers is contamined or problems with the firing pin or the bullet/propelant combination is not good.
After reloading over 3000 round .45-70, I have never any problems like this. Frowner

Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd try some new/different primers. You may have gotten a bad lot, or, like you say, they may be "contaminated".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,
If you have your loads seated so long that the lever takes a little force to close on the Browning Highwall it may misfire. I think there is a fly that catches the hammer if the breech block is not raised quite high enough. I have had misfires several times with my rifle. When it happened the hammer did not completely fall. Slightly opening the action and closing it again always resulted in the rifle firing the second try. I learned just to seat the bullets deep enough that the breech block does not have much if any drag when closing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote