New
Find
Notify
Tools

homemade moly or store-bought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a guy duplicate the benefits of store-bought moly bullets by coating them yourself? I use the KG method- i put 250 bullets in a small peanut butter jar and tumble them in a vibratory case tumbler. How do you coat your bullets. I'll be using the Sierra 107 gr. MK , and I can only get them facory coated in lots of 500 for around 100$

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Tomjones>
posted
I don't think it matters how you put the moly on. The tricky part is getting the wax on correctly. The best way I've found of doing that is to use powdered carnuba wax. Add a little of it to a tumbler filled with corncob media. Heat up your moly-coated bullets in an oven to about 150F then dump them in the corncob and tumble for about 5 minutes. If they look "clumpy" after that, strip of the wax with some solvent and start over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the HEAT is where the problem of clumping lies, or too much wax-to-media ratio. I do mine cool for about 10-15 minutes and all is fine.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Tomjones>
posted
Yes, sometimes you can have the bullets too hot. That will cause clumping too. Approx 175 is usually too hot. Getting the wax amount correct is most important. I think I use about 1/4 ts in a cup, maybe cup & 1/2 of corncob.