THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    “ NEVER USE A PRIMER FEEDER THAT HAS A TUBE”

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“ NEVER USE A PRIMER FEEDER THAT HAS A TUBE”
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In your Modern Reloading Second Edition on page 49 you say “ NEVER USE A PRIMER FEEDER THAT HAS A TUBE”
I must disagree with you . I have been reloading sine August 1970. I have been using the RCBS AUTO. PRIMING TOOL [Bench Mounted] Part # 09460 or it’s fore runner since they came out. I have never dropped a tube or exploded a primer. I have pulled the bullet from military ammo. and then de-primed it by slowly tapping the handle until the hot primer drops free.
Yourself, Hornady and, RCBS have a plate type system like you profess using and sell. Everybody else sells the “tube” system. The do not use...has got to be for liability purposes as well as for the safety of the dummies out there.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much of a problem this phenomenon is (as you note, probably not very widespread or nobody would make primer tubes), but I was present when a friend dropped a tube of primers for an RCBS Rockchucker.

I was not pleasant! Louder than I imagined unconfined primers would be, and there were primers (and pieces of primers!) flying around the basement like a load of number 5 shot from a shotgun.

Nobody was hurt, and both of us were fine (after a change of underwear! [Smile]

Apart from the possible fireworks, I prefer the feel of hand priming units like the Lee or RCBS hand primer.

jpb

[ 09-05-2003, 19:56: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Savvy handloaders make it a practice to regularly clean out the primer compound dust from inside the tubes. This is easily done by pushing a patch moisted with any fast evaporating house solvent. What most scares me is that I've met people who store live primers by dumping them in a glass jar ! If dropped, this would have little to envy from a hand grenade...

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote