THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case neck thickness wanted by reforming.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
Can any one tell me which brand of brass has the greatest neck wall thickness in 35Whelan or 9.3x62. I want to reform some down to 7x57 and end up with a neck wall thickness of .0185 so I can turn and have a release clearance of 1 1/2 thou for target work. I tried 30/06 and while there is enough brass gain from the rear of the shoulder, there is still a few mm of the 30 cal neck left at the mouth of the case which dosent gain enough in reforming.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thickness generally goes with weight.
I think you might find US GI brass the heaviest and most likely to have thicker necks.
Hoever I don;t think you will ever find necks thick enough for .0185" thickness.
While I don't have any cases to back this up I have read of RWS cases being massively thick in some calibers.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedWhy bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedWhy bewilderedroger

I have to ask this question too.
Unless your rifle is of benchrest quality with a very tight necked chamber turnng is a waste of time.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Why do I want to? Why dose there have to be a reason other than I want to. Seriously though I have a nice min spec chamber because I wanted to see if the 7x57 could be made to perform a little better than respectable. I had 300 Graff cases and got 150 good ones with neck wall thickness that after turning gave me .017. Expanded the necks with 30 cal button polished down to .289 then used a 315 button in a wilson neck sizing die.This gave a touch fit at the end of the .315 - .323 junction in the 3 thou tapered neck area of the 7x57 chamber to centralise for fireforming.This gave me a 3.5 thou release clearance at the mouth of the case and while this is great for hunting I wanted to try for a 1.5 thou release with a batch of brass to see if I could compete with the modern designs. Just something I always wanted to do was to see if the older cartridges had more to them than just being superb hunting cartrisges.

von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just something I always wanted to do was to see if the older cartridges had more to them than just being superb hunting cartridges.
Success with your quest! thumb Please keep us posted on your findings - very interesting! beer

PS. I didn't realize there was anything 'un-modern' about the 7x57. Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote