Notify
Tools

130GR. Nosler BT w/ H4831sc .270 Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well here it is gang...

130GR Nosler BT w/ H4831sc .270 load

What do you think about this powder selection for my .270 first powder for my Remington BDL?

My second powder to use with this bullet will be
IMR 4350....

I'll work up a load using each of these two powders starting 1GR from the minimum...

Whichever of the two powders shoots best, I will then use 10% of the maximun load and start from there.

I will seat all bullet to manual's C.O.A.L.

I will load 7 cartridges of each load...

Then increase each load in increments of .3 grains...

I will clean the bore after each 7-round load...

I will use two bullets for foulers and use the remainder for a 5-shot group waiting approx.3 minutes between each shot...I'll be carefully checking the cases for pressure signs along the way!

Clean bore thoroughly again...

I'll cool off the barrel for 10-15 minutes
before I fire the next load...

Once I determine the best groups, I'll start to develop that particular load...

Lastly, I'll try to find its SWEET SPOT by adjusting my seating depth finding out how far
from the LANDS she likes it...

This is my FIRST attempt at re-loading!!!

Do you think I'm going to be OKAY using this approach?

Do you think I selected the classic powders for the .270W 130gr bullets.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all...

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831 SC isn't exactly a classic powder, but it plays one on TV. Though chemically and physically quite different from the surplus 4831 that Jack O'connor used, it is still a very good powder for the .270.

My opinion is that 4350 is a bit fast for the .270 as its maximum loads leave some room still in the case. IMR 7828 SC is an excellent alternative that is only slightly slower than the 4831's and has good potential in the .270.

Although your load selection method sounds scientific, I think you'll find it excessively complicated and the data you get from it confusing and perhaps contradictory. Just try some of the 4831 SC starting with 57 grains and see how it does. You might be able to increase it a grain or two, or might need to back off a little, but at 57 grains nothing is going to come apart on you. You have a generous magazine on the 700, so take advantage of it and seat your bullet out to just short of the lands for a starter. If the rifle doesn't seem to like this, you can seat a little deeper; but there's no need to limit yourself to somebody's arbitrary cartridge length simply because it is written down somewhere.

There's a raft of other loading techniques that you don't mention. You can really only learn about them through experience and trial and error. Good luck.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland,
PM sent..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer,

I have a 270 in both Winchester 70 and Remington 700. Both do well with H4831SC. My favorite load with the 130 grain nosler ballistic tip is 59.5 grains of Hogdon 4831SC, federal 210M primer, 3.390 coal. This is .5 grains over max in the Nosler manual so you should start out say at 57 grains and work up.
FWIW, I used to try to load with bullets extended out close to the lands. Over time, I’ve started loading closer to SAAMI oal’s. I seem to get good accuracy and greater velocity loading near SAAMI cartridge overall lengths. I’ve been reloading now for about 15 years, and currently reload for around 36 different chamberings. I am not nearly as anal as I used to be in regards to barrel break in and trying to get one hole groups out of factory hunting rifles above 24 caliber. Barrell break-in these days consists of 300 strokes with a bronze bore brush saturated with a jb bore paste/ kroil mixture then finishing up with Butch’s bore cleaner till all JB is cleaned up, then lubricate w/ kroil.
I am more of a meat hunter than target shooter. However, I develop handloads for all my hunting rifles. As I very seldom shoot animals at over 250 yds, 1†groups are satisfactory and are usually relatively easy to get from factory remingtons with handloads. Also, when, I am shooting groups, a couple of foulers are fine. However I shoot my three or five shot group in rapid succession before the barrel heats up rather than waiting five minutes or so between shots. Another thing, after I have decided on a load that I am going to use for hunting, I clean the barrel, fire a couple of fouling shots,(sometimes it takes five or six rounds for the barrel to settle in) wait for the barrel to completely cool then see what the rifle does to replicate a first shot out of a cold barrel. I wipe the gun down put it up and do not clean the barrel until after the season is over. You should be able to get at least 20 rounds before accuracy starts falling off. Good shooting.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all I appreciate your replies...

Seafire check your email....

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Well here it is gang...

130GR Nosler BT w/ H4831sc .270 load

What do you think about this powder selection for my .270 first powder for my Remington BDL?

Good choice

My second powder to use with this bullet will be
IMR 4350....

Another good choice

I'll work up a load using each of these two powders starting 1GR from the minimum...

You need to start at least 1 gr above the minimum

Whichever of the two powders shoots best, I will then use 10% of the maximun load and start from there.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying you will start a new load series 10% below maximum? Also if one powder shoots a little better at a certain charge weight, that does not mean that the other powder might not shoot a lot better at a higher charge weight. For example if 57 gr H4831 shoots a 3/4" group and 53 gr IMR4350 shoots a 1 1/4" group it is entirely possible that the IMR4350 might shoot a 3/8" group at a higher charge rate of 55 grains. You need to run the full gamut from medium loads to near maximum in each powder to be able to say definitively that one powder is better than the other.

I will seat all bullet to manual's C.O.A.L.

Do you have a way of finding the "distance to the lands"? It would be better to load about .020" from the lands and let the COAL be whatever it is. The manual COAL is a measurement that will fit in any gun of that caliber and does not apply to your rifle other than you can be sure it will fit. However, it can and probably will be much shorter than it should be for maximum accuracy.

I will load 7 cartridges of each load...

Then increase each load in increments of .3 grains...

I will clean the bore after each 7-round load...

I will use two bullets for foulers and use the remainder for a 5-shot group waiting approx.3 minutes between each shot...I'll be carefully checking the cases for pressure signs along the way!

Clean bore thoroughly again...

I'll cool off the barrel for 10-15 minutes
before I fire the next load...

Well that is a lot of extra work LB. You really only need to load 2 foulers, then load a 3 shot or 4 shot in each powder weight and not clean till you are through shooting all the loads. By all that cleaning you will be changing the conditions more than and cumulative fouling could.

Once I determine the best groups, I'll start to develop that particular load...

Lastly, I'll try to find its SWEET SPOT by adjusting my seating depth finding out how far
from the LANDS she likes it...

This is my FIRST attempt at re-loading!!!

Do you think I'm going to be OKAY using this approach?

Do you think I selected the classic powders for the .270W 130gr bullets.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all...

Roland

So for example you could load the 130 Nosler BT in the following increments

H4831SC - 2 foulers
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 57 gr
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 57.5 gr
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 58 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 53 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 53.5 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 54 gr

Now if you have a chronograph what you probably will discover is that you are not getting anywhere near the velocity shown in the manuals. But it will give you an indication of which powder might give the best results in your rifle.

You have shot 20 rounds and then clean the gun. You have also stretched the brass for the first time and are ready to increase the loads for the next range session. You are working up in a ladder progression.

For the next range session you might load up

H4831SC - 2 foulers
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 58.5 gr
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 59 gr
H4831SC - 3 loads @ 59.5 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 54.5 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 55 gr
IMR4350 - 3 loads @ 55.5 gr

Now you might notice that the last load of H4831SC and the last load of IMR4350 is .5 grains over maximum according to the Nosler #5 reloading manual, but you have worked up to it and would be able to see pressure signs in your gun if these loads are in fact over maximum. I'll bet you $100.00 right now they won't be.

Even though the Nosler manual lists 59 grains as the maximum for H4831 with 130 gr bullets, the Hodgdon data lists 60 grains, the Sierra data lists 59.5 grains and the Hornady data lists 59.6 grains. So you see the loading data varies and you need to find out what works for your gun.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote