New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unloading 416 and better cartridges?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a few 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffrey rounds that fail for whatever reason to chamber. I need to disassemble them and try again. Brass and bullets for this range of cartridges is not cheap so I don't want to just pitch them. They will not fit in my "hammer" style bullet remover. What is the best way to get these bullets pulled. Needless to say I put a good stiff crimp on them as well. Thanks

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I just went through the same excercise. I bought an RCBS collet style bullet puller. It worked like a champ, although it took a lot of leverge, even with the AmmoMaster II press. I had to strike the handle hard. Both bullets and cases are re-usable. Check it out at: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=680804

You'll need to buy the pullet and seperate caliber specific collet.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try tapeing a short lenght of PVC to the opening of your hammer type puller to lenghten it and you will find it works quite well. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey D, Here is a simple and El Cheapo method.

Put your Seating Die in the press and Seat the bullet just 0.005" further. That should be enough to bust the Crimp loose.

Then remove the Seating Die and put the Loaded Cartridge back in the Shell Holder on the Press. Raise the Ram until the Bullet extends above the top of the Press. Grip the Bullet with a pair of pliers and lower the ram. The Bullet should slide right out for you.

If you are real concerned about the marks left by the pliers, you might be able to put a wrap or two of good old Duct or Duck Tape around it and grip that.

Or cut a piece of an inner tube to put around the bullet.

Should work fine for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hot Core's method for years with no complaints. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote