New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Reloaders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With all the new reloaders on the scene in the last year i'm surprised I have not heard of more shooting/reloading accidents, I brought this up because Tuesday I was hunting and saw a guy walking with a shotgun the barrel was split with a huge bluge in it, this was the 3rd time I have seen something in 6mo or so two others where at the range on rifles, the shotgun guy told me he bought a press from a guy along with some powder even thought it was rifle powder he figured it would work in a shotgun.

Damn I see more & more dumb post from newbies on reloading forums then I can count and many dealing with powder and not wanting to buy the right one but trying to use something that they have that won't fit.

GUYS USE A LISTED POWDER FOR THE GUN AND CALIBER YOUR USING.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I actually saw a guy on another website say that he didn't have time to read a reloading manual and that he just wanted someone to tell him how much powder (no specific powder, just "powder") to put in his 308 cases.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a reloading "newbie", please don't assume we're all fools.

Ignorant perhaps, but the non-foolish among us learn as much as we can from from those we know to be more knowledgeable, such as the fine folks on this forum.

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by US1:
With all the new reloaders on the scene in the last year i'm surprised I have not heard of more shooting/reloading accidents, I brought this up because Tuesday I was hunting and saw a guy walking with a shotgun the barrel was split with a huge bluge in it, this was the 3rd time I have seen something in 6mo or so two others where at the range on rifles, the shotgun guy told me he bought a press from a guy along with some powder even thought it was rifle powder he figured it would work in a shotgun.

Damn I see more & more dumb post from newbies on reloading forums then I can count and many dealing with powder and not wanting to buy the right one but trying to use something that they have that won't fit.

GUYS USE A LISTED POWDER FOR THE GUN AND CALIBER YOUR USING.

How do you figure that "newbies" are dumb for asking a question? It's dumb to NOT ask!!! It shows that they want to learn & be safe. The only "dumb question" is the one not asked.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ignorant perhaps, but the non-foolish among us learn as much as we can from from those we know to be more knowledgeable, such as the fine folks on this forum.

IGNORANCE is simply a lack of knowledge. We are all born ignorant but that can be fixed.

What's DUMB is not to seek the info.

What's LAZY is to seek to be spoon fed even the basics without any personal effort by simply reading a loading manual. Being confused by all the new info is normal and we on the net are here to help.

What's STUPID is to ignore all the books and use rifle poowder in a shootgun, etc.

What's insane is to sit on a jury and give money to the stupid who sue for compesation for what they did to themselves.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for 35+ yrs and will gladly help anyone who wants to "learn" to shoot & reload. I try to stress to them that you can never have too much knowledge and now days info is easy to come by. READ, ASK QUESTIONS---DO THE HOMEWORK!
What I WILL NOT do is provide a lazy, idiot w/ info to hurt someone else who may be nearby while Darwin does it's thing.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloading is in many senses a lot like using a tablesaw or parachuting or riding a high performance motorcycle. They can be relatively safe activities, but you are taking your life or at least parts of your body into your own hands when you choose to do them, and that should merit a high level of attention on your part.

In other words, the guy who says, "fill that case up with whatever powder's handy" is probably also the guy who refuses to use a pushboard on a table saw while wearing long and unbuttoned sleeves.

Or simply put, "you can't fix stupid."

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the accidents are happening, the victims just aren't tellin gus about it. I too have seen many newbs out there wanting to shortcut the process. It's an accident waiting to happen for sure. Nothing beats extensive research & it's even easier to do now than 20yrs ago.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only "dumb" question is the one that was not asked!! The guys that ask are not the ones who scare me --- its the guys that don't ask and have loaded up anyway and are sitting at the bench next to me1

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
On this forum, you're probably talking to the choir.

I would agree that you "can't fix stupid." I would disagree that "the only dumb question is the one that is not asked." A dumb question is a question from someone who has already been given the answer or who should already know the answer; there are some people you just can't get through to.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote