New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light magnums in a pump or autoloader ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone shot light magnums in a Rem. 7600 pump or Browning Bar ? Is it safe ? if not what would be a good load to get the most out of a .270 in such rifles ? Is O'connors old load of 60/h4831/130 too much for such rifles ? Actually I just finished re-reading for the 100th time THE Hunting Rifle and he says he uses 62/h4831/130 for 3100 + but I don't believe you can get that vel. out of a 22" bbl.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a poster about a month or so ago that described problems with LM in (I think) a BAR. If I recall correctly, the rifle had to go back to the factory, but I never heard the follow-up on that story.

Read the warning on the box, I know they warn against use in semi-autos, I forget if they were OK in pumps/levers. I personally would think they would be OK in rotating bolt pumps in good condition, as they should have a fairly solid locked breach. I think the problem in autoloaders is opening the breach while the chamber pressure is still way too high. Beats up the action and breaks parts.

Coincidentally, I posted a topic yesterday in "Military" forum asking about using LM in an M1A, with the gas port closed, essentially converting it to an in-line bolt action. The consensus was that it probably would be OK.

Not sure about your load, but if it is in the manuals, start 10 percent low and work up....

Regards, Bill

[ 10-12-2002, 01:47: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
I have a early BAR in an 06. It was my grandfathers. The gun is in great shape and happens to be a higher grade with nice wood and the ol elk, pronghorn engraving. The barrel however it getting worn down pretty good. I am considering a rebarrel and in my quest managed to shoot a freinds 338 BAR. I thought that it handled very well and was impressed with the accuracy. If there is an auto out there that would handle it I think the BAR is one of them.

I also read, I believe here, that there is a company making a M1 conversion to 338.??? It is quite spendy, and they do mods to the gun that cannot be undone.

[ 10-12-2002, 02:22: Message edited by: JAG ]

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I definitely wouldn't use the Hornady LMs or Federal HEs in an autoloader. It will likely lead to a damaged rifle and possibly a damaged shooter as well.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they do up to 375. but they also did MAS to 308, and they broke fast.

but, I can't remember for the like of me who it was. I'll look through some stuff and see if i can find it
jeffe

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Carl: I can not answer your first question. However I can tell you that Hornady's latest manual does list O'Connor's load as the max with their 130 gr bullet.

PS. Your 358 BLR is doing great in my safe! [Big Grin]
I loaded her up with 13 gr unique and 125 gr Hornady XTP's just for fun. Well I am here to tell you that the load shot about 1700 fps and 5 shot 1" groups at 100 yds. That rifle just amazes me!

[ 10-12-2002, 16:39: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
27 years ago I rechambered my Remington 760 to 30/06 Ackely IMP & I don't hold back on the handloads because its a pump.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw:

I have a 7600 in '06 and want to know what kind of performance you are getting out of your AI (velocity, accuracy, case life, etc.), if you wouldn't mind.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The accuracy didn't change. It is still excellent
for hunting; 1 1/4" at 100 yards with 165 grain Hornadys if I do my part. Don't have a chronagraph so I don't know the velocity. I load the same brass times each. Then make up a new batch. I could go more than 5 loadings but I don't. What I have is not technically a 30/06 imp.
I ran the 30/06 Imp reamer in the 06 chamber till I cleaned up the existing shoulder BUT; I couldn't set the barrel back on the 760 so what I have is a 280 Ackely IMP necked up to 30 cal. I use 35 Whelen brass to make the cases. I just adjust the sizer die till the headspace is correct.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
McCann does the .338 M1 and the French thingy. Type McCann rifle into Google and it'll come up.

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BarryH>
posted
It doesn't have anything to do with the strength of the action. These LMs and HE rounds do not create more pressure than standard rounds. What they do is create a longer peak pressure. All the semi-autos are gas operated, and the longer peak wreaks havoc with the gas system and operating rods.

Very simple: heed the warnings on the box they are there for a reason.

Barry

<FarRight>
posted
NO!!! Never shoot the Light Mags or the Federal HEs in a semi-auto. This is dangerous. The factory even advises against it. The added velocity will not be worth the risk.

I am a member of another forum where a guy had a friend nearly killed shooting the .30/06 LMs out of an M1 Garand.