New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott round ball "Squib" loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I'm sure you'll figure out from my post, I am not a very knowledgable reloader, so I hope you'll be able to help me out.

I'm interested in very light loads for the .458 Lott, and have seen several references to a lead ball load. If I remember correctly the loads called for an over size round ball over something like 3gr of Bullseye (starting point).

The Lott case is huge, so it was recommended to either use a filler, or to point the rifle up before shooting so the powder would be on top of the primer. (not to mention checking to make sure the bullet cleared the barrel after every shot)

I didn't feel comfortable with either of those options, so I began searching the web for ideas/alternatives.

A few days ago I stumbled upon a message board where the poster recommended seating a round ball about halfway down a 45-70 case on top of the powder, and sealing the round ball with liquid alox. it seems to me this would take care of the problems arrising from using a small amount of powder in a large volume case.

Would this work with a Lott? Has anybody tried it? What obvious problems am I overlooking? Could the rifle be damaged in any way due to the "long" distance the ball would have to travel from the case mouth to the beginning of the rifling?

Marc

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it would work for a roundball, but Trailboss powder is the answer to our reduced-load prayers. Google "Trailboss" and you will come up with the load data.

I had no trouble finding a load that would push a 220gr bullet at 1000fps in a 30-06.

Trailboss is relitively new, so there is not a great deal of info floating around yet.

My guess is that it will make most all of the old reduced load methods obsolete.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use a 458win,mag, case & SR4759 powder with reguler bullets,the speer manual has a lot of loads with this powder for mild reduced loads without any filler for most all cartridges... for a very low recoil..
Also check out/do a search here on AR for AA5744 powder startloads for the 458LOTT& all weight bullets without any filler...
hope this helps & good luck tu2

http://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_recoil_reloads.htm

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Why not use a standard cast bullet and case as it will be easier to get a result with "known and tested" components. I wouldn't want to use a shortened case as the powder burn will be partly in the chamber and may end up causing a little roughening as happens at the throat generally.

A powder that really shines for very low velocity loads is Red Dot. I had a large number of 400gn plainbase cast bullets for my 404 Jeffery and using the recognised load of 13gn to start I got 1096fps for a real squib load. Went to 14.5gn for 1160fps for a no recoil plinker. Red Dot is not position sensative (no filler), is clean burning, and give me an accurate way to use up some surplus supplies. Trailboss is a good powder, but the Red dot works very well.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote