Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 284, Barnes or GMX load data
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone ever play around with 139gr GMX or 140gr TSX?

Posts: 6 | Location: lebanon, pa | Registered: 06 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No one has messed around with a 99 in 284?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best bullet for a 99 in 284 is short for overall length bullet. The Barnes or GMX are long and tough to work in the confines of 99 in 284. I loaded for a Win 88 in .284 and a 99 the Speer 145 grain is great bullet for your rifle. The original WW factory loads used a 125 gr bullet and a 150 gr bullet that was rather short.

kk alaska

posted Hide Post
Yep, thats what Im seeing. Still I tend to be stubborn and Cabelas is having a sale on TSX's so Ill work up some loads this weekend and post back what I find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only bullet that would shoot in the 99C Savage I had was the 145 gr Speer. Like KK said.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 140 TSX and lay it along side a 284 case along side at your mag length and you will see what I am talking about. Built a SA Rem 700 about the same mag length of a Savage 99. Ended up selling it and getting a 7-08 and can use any bullet I want with the shorter case. The .284 works great with a 3.1 inch action. In a 99 or Win 88 bullet selection is limited IMHO.

kk alaska

posted Hide Post
I havent picked up any TSXs yet, but I do have some 140gr XLCs so I put one in a spent case, I now see why they would come loose during cycling of the action. In order for the XLCs to be seated deep enough for the mag, the bullet is so far into the neck that the end of the neck is actually on the sloping part of the bullet, no wonder they come loose. Sooooooo anyone have a good load using 140 partitions or Aframes?