New
Find
Notify
Tools

barnes tsx accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tested the 168gr tsx's today in both of my 300ultramags.Conditions were horrible with rain and gusting wind and my results were mixed.One rifle averaged no better than 1-1/2" but the other averaged around 3/4" to 7/8".Given the poor conditions the groups could have been slightly better but it appears that this bullet shows promise in one rifle but not in the other.However,I am going to test the 180gr tsx's in both rifles before deciding if I want to pursue any more load development with the 168's.On a side note,I did shoot a couple of the 168gr tsx's into a 1/2" steel plate 100 yards away and they both completely penetrated the plate.Given this,I doubt that any moose or elk shoulder blade will stop them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey stubblejumper

Have shot a lot of TSX's in the 300 win mag and had a lot better luck with the 200 grain and 180 grain than the 168. At the velocities listed in the manuals for 300 RUM the 200 grain only drops 3" more at 500 yards than the 168 grain and retains more energy and bucks the wind a little better. The 180 grain drops only 1.5" more at 500 yards and retains as much energy as the 200 gr and does still better against the wind. Of course the heavier bullets will have better sectional density also.

There have been rumors about the petals blowing off the TSX if shot at very high velocities on close shots. If you can move that 200 gr TSX at 3100 fps you will have a bullet that might perform better for you. JMHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gaining a very strong respect for the TSX barnes. I have shot the 168s from my 30,06 with very good results, and today I shot the last 4 I had from my 1953 model 70 Featherweight .308. Group size was .79 AT 100 that is better than it shoots most loads and I was using an old Leupold 4 power. I think it will be better next week when I use my Burris FF2 3X9. I have also had good luck with the .257 100 grainers from my .257 Roberts.
Thin I will try the 225s in my 338 win if I can awallow the 35.00 price tag !...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I just started developing a 168 gr. TSX load for my 300 Win. Mag. to use on mule deer out West this year. After very little work with (2) powders, I quickly settled on 78 gr. of H-4831 after it shot a 0.56" group at 100 yds. Have not chronographed yet, but I'm sure it will be adequate velocity. Will be verifying at 200 yds. later this week. This is my first experience with the TSX and quickly becoming a believer!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've already mentioned my results with the .338 225-grain TSX in my new el cheapo Savage 116 elsewhere on AR. It may be inexpensive, but it LOVES that TSX.

With 74.0 grains of Reloader 19, last Friday it gave me several 1/2" groups (three rounds per group) at 100 yards, chronographed at 2850 fps.

I have found my elk load for this fall!

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stubblejumper-

I have been wanting to try the Barnes TSX for some time in both for .300 Mags and 6.5/264. The TSX enjoy a reputation for great accuracy; however, but to a lesser degree than their brother and sister Barnes bullets, Barnes bullets are particular as to the proximity to the lands and the corresponding accuracy. I have seen it said many times that if you seat Barnes .0020 to .0015 off the lands that they really perform.

You might want to try that before you give up on the 168 grainers.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
stubblejumper-
... Barnes bullets are particular as to the proximity to the lands and the corresponding accuracy. I have seen it said many times that if you seat Barnes .0020 to .0015 off the lands that they really perform.

Mark, are you certain about that ".0020 to .0015"?? That is practically seated into the lands, a practice not common with X, TSX or any other Barnes mono-metal bullets. Barnes suggests you start off seating 0.05" off the lands (not 0.005). Even though the TSX has represented a gigantic leap forward in accuracy compared to the original X, theys are still not very consistent - e.g. the ogive varies quite a bit on TSXs. Attempting to get as close to the lands as 0.0015 - 0.002 will almost invariably let you touch the lands with certain bullets - if not with all.

Did you mean 0.015 - 0.02" off the lands by any chance?? Even that would be a pretty short jump for an X - but a normal jump for conventional bullets.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I just bought a few boxs of 180 TSX for my .300 win mag and I'm going to start with Barnes seating recommendation for the first time.

I have two loads with the original X that shoots under and inch and the XLC's shooting the same also. They are all 180gr. Boat tail versions.

From my peronal exprience, I seated mine at .010 off of the rifling and they didn't shoot until I got within .5gr. of MAX listed load in the Barnes manual and then they were all under an inch or better.

Hopefully the Triple-Shocks show a little more promise. This time I'm going to start at .050 and then find the highest safest velocity and tinker with the seating from their to try and make them shoot.

If it works I'll post pics.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
I have to concur with MHO. Just opened my package from Midway with my new Barnes #3 Realoading book & it states to seat .05 from the lands. I'm hoping I can come up with a great load for my 30.06, I've been shooting Hornady rounds to fireform them fro reloading...my goodness they are not very accurate. thumb

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the rifle that they shoot better the bullets are seated .05" from the lands.With the other rifle the throat is longer and they can't be seated that close and still fit the magazine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Please accept my most sincere apologies; all I can say is I had a brain fart.

MHO, you are correct as ususal. I cut and pasted the following from the Barnes Web-site:

7. Where do I seat the Triple Shock Bullet?

Answer. As with the X and XLC Bullet, we recommend seating the Triple Shock .050" off the lands {rifling} of your rifle. This length can be determined by using a "Stoney Point Gauge" or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at or on one of the annular rings.

Again, my apologies for the "digititus."

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote