New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought my first .45, actually my first autoloader handgun and I'm going to start making loads for it. I've loaded thousands of revolver loads with a roll crimp but the taper crimp is new to me. Is a taper crimp even necessary, or what do most of you guys do when loading the .45? I don't want to overcrimp them. Just looking for suggestions since I'm fairly unfamiliar with this round.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reasons for the taper crimp are twofold: so recoil forces won't affect OAL, and because movement over the feed ramp can affect OAL too.

Some of my favorite loads revolved around Unique and Blue Dot, but Hodgdon's Clays was a standout because it was so clean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A taper crimp is necessary so that the cartridge will headspace on the case mouth.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the extractor will headspace the case and a roll crimp will work. Don't recommend it though. A taper crimp is an extra step in the process but, in my opinion, ensures smoother feeding up the ramp. Have fun, the .45 is a great cartridge to reload.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The case mouth should be crimped just enough to remove any belling. The case wall tension should be enough to hold the bullet.
I crimp mine to a point where the VERY EDGE of the case mouth measures .468" - .472" depending on the brass used, measured with my caliper. ( case wall thickness variation will vary the crimp) Winchester and Federal cases I have at the moment are crimped to 0.470 - 0.472" and work fine. I set my die with the bullet seated and no crimp then unscrew the seating stem and turn the die body down until contact is made. Try 1/8 turns or so measuring as you go until you find the depth you are happy with and tighten the lock ring. Rescrew the seating stem until it contacts the bullet and try a couple rounds to insure the settings are what you want. Don`t over crimp! Over crimping will bulge the case behind it and interfere with feeding. When you have a good crimp you should just be able to see a bit of burnishing of the edge of the case mouth.
Good shooting... thumb

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ol Joe has it right. You can roll crimp, but only enough to turn the "bell" into the bullet. Headspace is on the case mouth & if you over crimpit is possible for the case to creep forward just enough to misfire.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smiler
I have an RCBS press and dies and I've ordered a set of RCBS .45 dies which are taper crimp. I also have some Starline brass coming which I expect within the next day or two so I should be set to do some loading this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i highly recomend a progressive press for doing your 45's. i started with a rcbs piggyback and then went to a dillion. and if you want, you can use rcbs dies in a dillion. i do like the sepperate crimp and seater die of dillions.

if it wasnt for having a progressive,id be reloading more than shooting.

enjoy the 45,there fun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS turret press. Its faster than a single stage but nowhere near as fast as a progressive. I like it though, I can set up my dies and powder measure on the head and load each round start to finish without removing the shell. I can load two or three rounds per minute that way. I might buy a progressive in the future, but right now I'm saving up to stock up on more supplies since I've heard rumors of higher prices in the future.