New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Tactical
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the money and the effort worth going with a wildcat like this. I already have a .223 that is a tackdriver. Is the fps really that much of an advantage. I can already get some fairly impressive #'s reloading for the .223. Also is the new Ruger .204 going to be available from anyother mgf?

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
The .20 Tac will go 4300-4350 fps in a 26" tube and Hornady 33 grain VMAX pills. Hornady is coming out with a 40 grain VMAX in .20 caliber this spring, which should have a very good B.C. I've heard some say that the .223 AI, with 40 grain pills, can make 4200 and at that velocity might be a tad flatter than the .20 Tac. Getting to that velocity though [with the .223 AI] is a big if, I think.

What the .20 Tac does is five you a 400 yard "point and shoot" coyote rifle.

Check out www.saubier.com for lots of good discussions on the .20 caliber [and other small calibers].

Jordan

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I built a 5MM-.223 that I labeled the 5MM vapodog about three years ago.....because it vaporized prairie dogs.

The Ruger cartridge is based on the .222 mag case and is slightly larger.....I believe their 4,200'/sec claim.

Popularity is always a matter of foresight.....and I wouldn't guess.....however barrels are available from Shilen, Douglas, Krieger.....and probably a lot more. Mini actions from Mauser, Montana are on the horizon and actions from Remington, savage, Sako, and Winchester can be rebarreled.

Is it better than a .223........well.....it's better than a .17 Remington is all I'm going to say.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the Tactical 20's and really like them. Some of the advantages of the Tact 20 is the ease of fireforming, brass availability, and the fact that it will chamber from any action set up on the 223 platform. The 204 Ruger is set up on the 222mag case and quality brass will be an issue for awhile and a lot more expensive. Also you might have magazine issues because of the length of the cart. with a plastic tipped bullet if using an action from a 223 based rifle. I guess if you stick with a stock Ruger 204 that won't be a problem. As for whether it's worth the money you can probably make a good argumemt that altering any factory cartridge is not worth the money, but that would be boring! Personaly I think Ruger would have been better off using the Tact 20, what they are doing seems redundant to me.

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2003Reply With Quote