New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Maximum Load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for load data for IMR 4227 and 180 gr. XTP/HP for my 357 max. Dan Wesson Revolver V40 8 in. bbl. Any appreciated!

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Hornady, 9th edition:
.357Maximum, 180grs XTP/HP, OAL:1,89" IMR-4227 16,7grs min, 18grs max.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
In a revolver you are limited to 1.99" OAL so the 180 grain bullets are substantially "weaker" than the 158 grain bullets. You can gain about 400 FPS with the 158 over the 180 bullet. That being said the Hodgdon site shows a max load of 20 grains of H4227 with no listing for the IMR version (don't use the same data) The 0.1" difference in OAL could provide room for more powder but I am not recommending anything here as I use H110 in my Maximum loads and they are for single shot pistol so I get a lot more OAL and faster bullets.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Martin and Paul, Martin this mirrors the load data I have from my Speer #18 for the 180 gr. TMJ-Sil.

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For silhouette the 158's never gave reliable knockdown on the rams.
My silhouette load for 180's was 20gr 4227 and 19 for the 200's. These both gave me 1400fps average with the Speer TMJ's.
My cast load was 19gr 4227 behind a 180gr gas checked bullet.
For deer I used 180gr 358 bullets but had to flatten the lead nose in order for them to rotate in the cylinder.
All from an 8in DW.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing some rough measurements it looks as if the shortest OAL with the 180 XTP/HP will mic. out at aprox. 1.996. Too long unless I seat them to the next crimp groove which will place them too deep into the brass.

What is the max. I can seat them into the brass without having to reduce the min. load of IMR 4227, or do you recommend another alternate deer/hog load bullet other than the 158 gr. XTP/HP?

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freestate101:
Doing some rough measurements it looks as if the shortest OAL with the 180 XTP/HP will mic. out at aprox. 1.996. Too long unless I seat them to the next crimp groove which will place them too deep into the brass.

What is the max. I can seat them into the brass without having to reduce the min. load of IMR 4227, or do you recommend another alternate deer/hog load bullet other than the 158 gr. XTP/HP?

What is your cylinder length? It should be 2".
You might be able to load out to 1.996" without any problems. Check it and let us know.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just measured the cylinder length on my DW 357 SuperMag. It is 2.075 so your cartridges should fit fine because your OAL can be this plus the rim thickness since the rims fit on the cylinder.
Some of my loaded ammo exceeds 2.000 with no problem.
And just to be clear, it is a SuperMag which was developed by Elgin Gates and the IHMSA boys, the Maximum was the abortion cobbled together by Rem and Ruger. beer

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just measured my cyl. @ 2.075", this should let me seat the 180 XTP's to the first crimp groove with room to spare. Will load up a one on Thursday to see how it goes.

Thanks Guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Monson 40 and a Norwich 640 and although the brass seems to last forever, it loses its bullet grip and needs annealing to regain accuracy. I think my normal load, from memory is about 19.5 grains of 4227.

Don't worry about trying other powders unless you are really adventurous. Don't bother with bullets lighter than 180 either.

I use a Redding profile crimp and crimp as a separate step. I like steel full length sizing dies made for Maxi/Supermag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky Punk, thanks for the load data.

My DW is also a Monson 40; you mentioned you prefered full length sizing dies made for Maxi/Supermag.

Where can they be found, all I see are dual purpose 357/357 max dies.

I currently have the Lee Carbide set with factory crimp die.

Thanks, Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I load very carefully for my DW Supermags, I imagine that the case is sized better in a full length steel die because it is being sized all over at the same time. A carbide ring irons over only a portion at a time and could end up with the mouth not as concentric with the base.

I lucked onto dedicated Supermag full length steel die sets at gun shows and internet auctions. I have Redding and RCBS sets. Some think a carbide 38, 357 Mag, 357 Max set is more desirable than a steel die for the Max. Not me. Since this die would be a specialty die new, RCBS and Redding would likely want $100 just for the single die if they'd make one.

I think the best set up for loading 357 Supermag is a steel size die, Lyman M expander, Redding Micrometer Comp seater and a Redding Profile crimp.

I always use Rem BR SR primers. As I said, accuracy goes away quick as the brass gets stiff and the bullet pull decreases. I never had good results crimping in the cannulure closer to the base in my Supermags, either the 180 357 XTP, or the 300 429 XTP. I don't know if bullet pull loss is detrimental, or if it just requires load redevelopment. Another thing not worth jacking with unless you are a glutton for punishment along with lighter bullets, other powders than 4227. I wish I knew this early on, It would have saved me some frustration and wasted components.

BTW - for kicks one day I shot some 38 target wadcutters in my Supermag and they shot very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky, you said you haven't had much luck crimping in the cannulure closest to the base, do you mean you crimp in the second one from the base?

If so, does that cause a compression of the powder, or increased pressure?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I crimp in the one closest to the nose. I suspect Hornady data would have the OAL set by crimping like this so the cartridge would fit in a Ruger.