THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which Lee dies? (Pacesetter 3-die set or Deluxe 3-die set)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Lee dies? (Pacesetter 3-die set or Deluxe 3-die set)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to reloading and am wondering which of the subject die sets would be the better way to go. I've never reloaded a case yet, but am in the process of putting together an order for components. Can anyone tell me which of the products below would be best for a beginner? There is little cost difference between the two.

Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Sets include the exclusive Lee Factory Crimp Die, Full Length Sizer Die and Bullet Seater Die.

Lee Deluxe Rifle 3-Die set includes a collet neck sizing die, full length sizing die and bullet seating die.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For some odd reasoning you don't bother to mention what cartridge this equipment is for.

So I'll give a wild-assed opinion and say get the kit with the crimp die in it if it's for a 416 Rigby. Get the kit with the collet die in it if it's for a 22-250 Rem. If it was me, I'd get the extra die anyway. They're inexpensive and work as advertized.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently shopping for set in .308 & .270 Win. I don't see a .416 in my future. Ever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're cheap - get the Pacesetter set and add a stand-alone collet neck die. But then I use the FC die, which not everyone values....

Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which is better to do without? The collet neck sizing die or the factory crimp die?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with BruceNZ.Get the Deluxe Die set and order the FC die separate.I have good reasons.It is hard to get consistent neck tension case to case,batch to batch.The two dies together(FC + Collet)eliminates this and are very effective when used together.You will especially appreciate the bullet seating die supplied in the deluxe set versus the one that comes with the regular set.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many do not crimp 270 & 308 Win.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right onefunzr2,but with all due respect, as a user of the collet die I personally recommend it.It`s not expensive and is worthy of a scientifically controlled experiment on ones own.I dont really bear down on the die as it will form it`s own cannelure in a bullet which I don`t really like.I lighty snug the bullet in it`s case.Even Saeed on this site did his own experimentation with crimping.Ultimately it depends on the particular rifle,but with my own experiments it improved accuracy.So now it is not even a question with me using it with the collet die.

Besides.....no lube is great,cases tend not to need trimming very often,if at all, after the initial trim,chamfer and deburr job.Also if you need new brass the full length sizing die will be there for you if you get the Deluxe set.

I wish I would have known this info before I started buying dies as a beginner.

I have seen where people polish off .001" or so for more neck tension with the collet die.That ain`t necessary if you use the crimp die.Besides....a .001 interference fit is all you can get without the bullet sizing the neck and causing runout.This is exactly where the afore mentioned method(Collet/Crimp Die)shines thru.Besides....it`s easy.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mickberger,

I answered the man's question, which was: Which is better to do without? The collet neck sizing die or the factory crimp die?

Scroll up to the top of this thread and you will see that I recommended both right from the start. He's the one who's trying to save 10 bucks and not buy both. No skin off of my nose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with RCBS dies. The Lee's are OK, but I've had the decapping rod pull out when resizing 30-06 cases in the past and get stuck in the case. The RCBS dies use a threaded decap rod and the pins are removeable for sizing without punching out the primer in case you need to tear down a cartridge and reload it. The Lee's also use that rubber O-ring, which allows the dies to ride up and down during the resizing process. My gunsmith says "If it moves, it's junk." Buy the RCBS set of your choice and equip them with the Forstner side-screw lockrings. Trash the rings that have the screw in direct contact with the threads. RCBS dies are about $25-30 for common sets and the lockrings are $5 each. Hornady sells a flat-sided one for about three bucks that also has a side-screw locking system.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with rootbeer, I have ZERO ues for the LEE dies, I bought 1 set for a 30-06 and half the time was spent pulling the rod out of the case.

Make sure if you buy RCBS you don't buy the reloader special dies there the same as the Lee.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote