Notify
Tools

25-06 pressure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I made a very bad mistake reloading for my
25-06.
I have been reloading for 30 years and I guess was getting complancent.
I use 51 g of IMR 4350 for my reloads of 25-06 and about half way done with the number of reloads I was making .The can of powder got gone so I picked up another can of powder and I only looked at the colour of the can and kept on reloading.
I had picked up a can of IMR 4198 and did not notice.
A few days later my son shot one of the reloads that had one with the 4198 powder in his Sako 85 Finnlight.
The stock broke into 3 pieces,the magazine was destroyed and the action froze up and the gun ended up four feet away from where it was fired.
Luck was on my sons side and he did not get hunt. He got a few small cuts on his face,puff up nose and cut his trigger finger.
He said that it was a very loud bang and he did not know what happened until after the fact.
Can someone tell what pressure were generate when the gun was fired.( 51g of IMR 4198in a 25-06)
I beleived that the strong action the Sako 85 save my son from getting hurt or worst
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can someone tell what pressure were generate when the gun was fired.( 51g of IMR 4198in a 25-06)

Assuming a 110gr Hornady around 118,800psi

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod
I was using Nosler 100 gr BT
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
It must be a 25-06 thing!

A friend and I shared the same bench for years and (somehow?)a measure full of 2400 got poured into a 4350 can, the action spent the rest of it's life on our gunsmith counter,,(this is how the boys do it in King Salmon). The 700 action was more or less stretched and fused into a worthless piece of junk. We've had a perfect record since,a couple of progressive boo boo's though on the Dillon.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was using Nosler 100 gr BT

Heck then the pressure would only be in the 111,100psi range per QL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Luck was on my sons side and he did not get hunt. He got a few small cuts on his face,puff up nose and cut his trigger finger.

I would the Lord was watching over your son..
that is why i always look at numbers and not colors..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
that is why i always look at numbers and not colors..

Being colored blind only thing I can do is read the numbers. For me factory container and read and check the number at least twice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet I will be checking the number twice from now on.
My wife even wanted me to quit reloading but that will not happen
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And only one can of propellant on the bench at a time.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote