THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    9mm reloading with Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm reloading with Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I'm starting to reload again for a couple of Glock 9mm's and upon looking at some of the reloading manuals it seems that Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot offer the best velocity and lowest pressure in the 115 and 124 g. bullets. I'm looking at 6.7g of Power Pistol and 6.6 grains of Unique in the 115's and 8.0 g of Blue Dot in the 124's.

Any other powders and/or formulas to be offered would be great.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use blue dot in my 115gr loads too. Not because it's the best or cleanest, but because you can't cram enough blue dot in a 9mm case to blow it up. Purely a safety issue for me, absolutely no way to double charge a case with blue dot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the AA powders as well eg. #7 and #9.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we could own pistols in the UK I found that Unique was disappointing in 9mm as it was too dirty. I would endorse the comments about the Blue Dot.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched to Titegroup a while back and love it. It is clean burning and the velocity is right around the others. For the 115 grain, I use 4.7grains. For the 122 lead, I use 4.0 grains. Both are at or near max loads.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
I like Titegroup and it worked good in my 9mm Glock with 125 lead.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After our current President was elected to office, I had a hard time finding my normal powder for reloading 9mm. I was using Winchester 231 or HP-38. My dad told me to try Unique. After seeing the price difference I tried it out. Unfortunatly I will NEVER use it again. Despite the labeling, stating that the powder was "Cleaner", it LIED. My guns were trashed at the end shooting. It cleaned up easy enough I guess, but just not fun to the end of a nice shinny stainless steel pistol looking black. Mad I ended giving away most of the ammo I reloaded with it.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the AA powders as well eg. #7 and #9

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I'm starting to reload again for a couple of Glock 9mm's and upon looking at some of the reloading manuals it seems that Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot offer the best velocity and lowest pressure in the 115 and 124 g. bullets. I'm looking at 6.7g of Power Pistol and 6.6 grains of Unique in the 115's and 8.0 g of Blue Dot in the 124's.

Any other powders and/or formulas to be offered would be great.

Running 6.6gr of Unique under a 115gr anything is pushing Unique pretty hard, into +P range depending on OAL, caution. I love Unique in the 9mm, better than PP or BD, but it doesn't meter as well as WSF, which is like a spherical Unique. Same burn rate & almost identical pressure/vel curve.
Freinds don't let friend load TG in anything. flame

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#7 is about the slowest AA powder that makes sense in the 9x19. I personally prefer WSF for 9mm and 40 S&W. Meters well and burns cleanly.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I thought Blue Dot was only for reduced rifle loads. Smiler

Serious now, I use Unique for .45 ACP and it's not the cleanest powder but it will load almost any handgun round. I have also used one of the Clays for 9x18 Mak. It was clean. Don't know if that helps much or not.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use HP-38 and unique. Unique seems not near as dirty with higher pressure 40 loads.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry:
I use HP-38 and unique. Unique seems not near as dirty with higher pressure 40 loads.

I haven't used Unique in my .40 loadings as I've stuck with Power Pistol for some very favorable velocities and accuracy.

From your comment about some of the dirty traits of Unique being not present in the .40 loadings, do you think that is due to the higher pressures that the .40 operates at....... or a change in the formula of the newer Unique to aid in the cleaner burning???

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:

I haven't used Unique in my .40 loadings as I've stuck with Power Pistol for some very favorable velocities and accuracy.

From your comment about some of the dirty traits of Unique being not present in the .40 loadings, do you think that is due to the higher pressures that the .40 operates at....... or a change in the formula of the newer Unique to aid in the cleaner burning???

Its the higher pressure. Still a pain to drop consistent charges from my progressive.

You want to see dirty, shoot 9gr of unique thru a 44mag. It doesn't get much dirtier.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:

THis is true in any caliber w/ Unique. Like most medium burn rates, it runs best above midrange loads. I think most issue w/ it being "dirty" are guys running low vel/low pressure loads. It's not for light target/bunnyfart loads. When I run Unique in the 45acp, it's full power loadings, runs as clean as anything else.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Unique in 9mm and .45acp. Blue Dot seemed to make the guns snappier and felt like it was slamming the action harder than needed.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blue Dot seemed to make the guns snappier and felt like it was slamming the action harder than needed.

How much BlueDot were you using? Loaded to the same pressures Unique will give slightly less recoil than BlueDot, due to the lower charge weight. But I'd be hard pressed to see much difference. I use 800X and BlueDot in my .45ACPs and see no problems loaded slightly under maximum listed loads.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember now. I just stuck with Unique.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Today I went out and tested some of those 9mm Blue Dot loads. I guess there is another use for Blue Dot after all.

Here is the result:

115g. Jacketed bullet, 8.5g of Blue Dot
High - 1297
Low - 1199
Ave - 1242 PF=142
ES - 98
SD - 26

124g. Jacketed Bullet, 8.0g. of Blue Dot
High - 1261
Low - 1206
Ave - 1235 PF= 153
ES - 55
SD - 16

A little on the snappy side but no signs of real pressure. Accuracy was good and I think these are the right loads for this shooter, a Glock Gen 4 Model 17.