New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat nose 7mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just acquired a Model 94 Winchester in7x30 Waters. I have been looking for 7mm flat nose bullets with no success. Can some one give a lead as to where some can be found? Thanks in advance. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Not that many flat nosed 7mm bullets around as it is not a calibre normally associated with tube magazine rifles.

I have never come across flat pointed 7mms but Hornady used to or maybe still does produce a 154gr round nose and Sako also produced a 155gr Hammerhead round nosed projectile. Other than that you generally have to go up to the 175gr weights to find round nosed 7mm projectiles.

There are the protected point style of projectiles around from Speer, Woodleigh, Remington and others which would probably be okay in a tube magazine. The problem with the 7mm calibre is that it is down in size somewhat from say the 30 or 32 cal which are commonly found in tube magazine rifles and whose round nosed projectiles had a bigger meplat which 'spans' the primer of the cartridge in front and hence were not in danger of detonating the primer. Even the round nose 7mms have a relatively small meplat.

The other option of course is flat point or round nose cast bullets.

For the common tube magazine cartridges there are projectiles made now with pointed tips made of soft rubber but I don't think this applies to 7mms.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank. You for the reply. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not. Ammo is hard to find,but it ca be done. As a hand loader,I would prefer to build my own. Time will tell. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady used to make a 120 grain flat nose for the 7x30 Waters, but I think they dropped them some time ago.

Consider loading a 120 grain Ballistic Tip and use your rifle as a two-shooter with one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Actually, I can't see the plastic tip ever being hard enough to dent the primer ahead of it sufficiently to set it off, but no one will recommend the practice of using plastic tipped spitzers in a tubular magazine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A file well turn most bullets into a flat nose in short order.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what I was going to say; you can make them easily with a file. Or make it a two shot rifle.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
A lath will get rid of the tip and be more repeatable and much faster. Maybe start with a 140 grain psp. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.if converting rounded nose and semi- spitzers is that much difficulty,I will try to locate factory ammo or sell the rifle. I am leery of shooting cast bullets as I have never done that and concerns about accuracy and leading the barrel. If I were to use cast bullets,can some one recommend a bullet weight and shape? Thanks again for all the replies. Jerry Hoover

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.if converting rounded nose and semi- spitzers is that much difficulty

If hitting bullet a couple times with file is to difficult.

Then one should most likely sell it and buy something easier to use.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That a rapidly becoming a more viable option. My concern with filing was inconsistency and it's effect on accuracy. Now I just need to find out what is a fair price. Is anyone has any idea, I am all ears. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you guys are over emphasizing the importance of bullet noses on short range cartridges, meaning 200 yards or less. The bullet base is far more important than the nose.
Tests have shown that noses can look like hell and still shoot well. You can file them plenty good enough, or make a little die, even from wood, and file them to fit.
If you can't do that, you probably shouldn't be reloading; it is that easy. If you really can't do it, I will make you some. PM me if you are serious about it. I will do it on a lathe; not because it is more precise, but faster.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawk has 7mm flat points
http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The 7x30 Waters is by all accounts a good cartridge, a very experience hunter friend of mine lavishes praise on the effectiveness of his although it is a TC Encore single shot rifle so may stand heavier loads than the Winchester 94 and of course any bullet style can be used.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Mark. I checked with Hawk Bullets and they have 7mm flat noses in stock. I also ordered some factory loads from cheaper than dirt to get more brass. Have a Safe andMerry Christmas. Jerry Hoover