THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant Shotgun Powders in Handgun Cartridges?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted
Alliant has a lot of shotgun powder that appears to have narrow (according to them)usage, but in comparison seem very similar to some of their existing powders.

For example: their 20/28 is supposed to be for said gauges for Sporting Clays but a quick comparison in 28 and 20 gauge data would indicate it's very similar to Unique.

e3 seems very similar, or maybe a tad faster than Red Dot.

I bring this up because I wonder how useful these would be in handgun cartridges. I have no doubt that Alliant "410" would be similar to AL2400 or WW296/H110. Hence, it should be useful in magnum handgun cartriges. I've noticed while some of the powder wholesalers may be out of the popular handgun powders, they have in stock the more obscure "shotgun" powders such as those mentioned.

Thoughts?

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used kegs and kegs of red dot, green dot and herco in hand guns.

Knowing the burning rate and useing safe reloading practices and good load work up.

I belive most any shotgun powder could be used.

Start low work up.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm intimately familiar with B'Eye, Red Dot, Unique, etc. and their use in handgun cartridges. My question was with regards to other shotgun powders for which there is no handgun data such as e3, Steel, 410, 20/28 et al.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"- Col. Townsend Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35Whelen:
I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm intimately familiar with B'Eye, Red Dot, Unique, etc. and their use in handgun cartridges. My question was with regards to other shotgun powders for which there is no handgun data such as e3, Steel, 410, 20/28 et al.

Depending on how much faster the shotgun powder is in relation to the published data, I would reduce by 10% and go from there.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that these "new" shotgun powders are just as adaptable to handgun loads as the older shotgun powders we're all familiar with. The problem is establishing some parameters for their use without insturmeted tests as a guideline.

I don't shoot much handgun ammunition anymore, but when I did most of what I used was "midrange" loads for targets. Those loads generated relatively low pressures to match their modest velocities. If you are interested in midrange loads I'd suggest that you would be reasonably safe in using a given powder which shows a burning rate in shotgun loads similar to a known powder you have used. If loaded very conservatively and checked through a chronograph to assure that velocity was within the expected range, I suspect you could work up satisfactory loads with various of these "new" powders for which no handgun data exists.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sporting Clays may be substituted for Unique.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I use green dot for target/practice rounds in a 12 ga and a 28 gauge and a 357 Mag. So I don't have a need to even try their other powders.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both those powders in the shotguns but,looking at my notes, see that I haven't tried them in any hand gun loads. It would take a lot of work to see if they offered any advantage over the more common pistol powders. I tend to use up what I have on hand, maybe when I have used up my stash of AL5 and Herco I will give them a try.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Alliant’s American Select in my 45 Colt with excellent success. I use that powder for our shotgun loads and it always impressed me how clean burning it was. When I worked up a load in my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with a 255 grain cast bullet it was very accurate and really clean burning. I’m going to try it in my 45 ACP.

Good luck

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote