New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers - where are they?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some CCI 450 primers and Winchester Large Rifle primers and seems nobody has any. Everywhere I checked, they were on backorder.

I've never had any problems in the past, what's the deal?

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
saw plenty in my local store-- all good but the price of $29.99 per 1000.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd gladly pay that if I could find them locally. All 3 of my local stores are out of both of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Searched far and near, high and low, no WLR primers to be found.....

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There are shortages of some brands & sizes. You just have to keep an eye out & buy 5K when you find them. I ran into some WLP at the local gunshow last weekend.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Man I hear you....primers are hard to find...have been for several months. I have not seen Fed 215 for almost a year. Now CCI are hard to find. Good luck

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Saw some on Bass Pro Shops shelves yesterday... $ 4.99 per 100... or $49.90 a 1,000.

Someone will buy them, not I.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Saw some on Bass Pro Shops shelves yesterday... $ 4.99 per 100... or $49.90 a 1,000.

Someone will buy them, not I.

At that same store you could probably buy promo .22LR ammo for about $20 per thousand, or $9.99 per sleeve. When you stop to think that the .22 LR contains not only a primer, but case, powder, and bullet AND its price includes the 11% excise tax (which the primers alone do not), then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that we are being royally escrewed on primer prices.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll be patient. Got a few months until I head out west for pdogs. If some WLR don't show up soon, I'll have to swith to CCI, but that means testing out loads in the 3 rifles I use WLR in. I'm totally out of CCI 450, but did get some CCI benchrest primers to try. Hopefully my 6mmBR won't care.

Still need to get some more WSR as well, totally out of them as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be dumb luck. I found these first place i looked:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24187/..._Primers_Large_Rifle

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I stocked up this fall. I laid in 5000 both pistol sizes and i already had 5100 of the small mag primers for my ar15 so i was good to go but i see holes in shelves where they are mising. they come and go so i dont think there is a big shortage

Posts: 7 | Location: mn | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is in fact a lot of production from the major manufacturers that is slotted for the military that normally is not right now. There IS and has been a war on!

It is definitely hit or miss, I think it is exacerbated by the military demands right now.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote