Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman gen 6 powder system/scale
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
A friend of mine decided to exit reloading and gave me most of his stuff.. Dies, several priming tools, and this Lyman Gen 6 powder measure/scale.
Just messing with it for the first time tonight and man is it slick... I'm gonna read thru the manual again a couple time and make sure I understand it all, and then tomorrow I'll do some loading.. I have several hundred cases of several calibers ready so it will gt a real workout..

The only thing I can see that looks like a pain in the ass is cleaning it.. from what am reading, its very "procedural", in other words, no shortcuts!
And of course being the skeptic that I am, I'll cross check about every 5th charge or so on a balance scale.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Hi, I got one a few months back. it works really well. its precise in its powder drops and it repeats. I have used different types of powder except Flake with no issues. I like the auto function and it stays calibrated . if your friend didn't make any changes in the setup it should work like mine. Free is good. My old Lyman autoscale was giving me some problems.
So I got it for a back up and haven't used the
autoscale since
You will figure out how to clean it

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it works well.

Have not had good results with their previous efforts.

I have been using the RCBS CHARGEMASTER, and it really is great.

Not as fast as I can measure powder on an electronic scale, but I have adapted to it.

Mine is set opposite the bench where the press is.

I set the die in the press, bullets next to it, and the primed cases by the Chargemaster.

Set it it up, as it finishes filling one case, I take that across and seat a bullet.

Turn around and a new filled case is ready, so not too much of a slow down.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Me too. I have good luck with the RCBS but never got used to the Lyman. I bought one a few years ago when Midway had a sale but never got comfortable with it + returned it. Glad yours works for you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used two old Lyman Autoscales and two Gen 5 despensors for years, they all have always worked fine. I keep powder I use often in each and therefore don’t have to clean them out after each use. Yes, I know they say don’t do that but I have never had a problem . I do mark each with the powder within. I have got my eye on a Gen 6 and will probably pull the trigger sooner or later. Using a lot of RL-26 for my 6.5 PRC lately and it will possibly hold that. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I called lyman to see if they would repair My Autoscale that is close to or over 25yrs old. Off course they do not. They made an offer for the Gen6 for $150 including shipping. So I ordered it.
at the time they wee selling for $225.
800-225-9626
800-423-9704

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to let you guys know that I ran this thing almost all day Saturday,, 223's, 243, and some 06..

this gadget makes reloading fun again. I don't know how I ever lived without it!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I put my autoscale in the box and on the shelf
ill use it for a back up.