Find
Notify
Tools

TSX vs. XLC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted
I know that Barnes recommends to load the TSX using the regular X load data, but with the reduced bearing surface of the TSX wouldn't you end up with XLC recipes or close to it in the end?

Also, does anyone have actual velocities for the 130 and/or 150 gr. TSX out of a 30-06?

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question.

I liked the XLC-BT 165gr in my 30-06, but I also know that Barnes is phasing out the XLC's (and the price of the TSX's has dropped) so I'm going to have to switch...

Unless I can secure a supply of XLC's...
I had no less than THREE different loads that's chronograph at a hair over 3100fps from my 22" barrel '06 and the worst of them grouped into 1.25" at 100yds (IMO more than good enough for deer)

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALLEN---HOLLY COW!!!!

Did I misread you post or were you saying you had 3 different 165 loads that would break 3100 fps out of a 22" 30-06??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I too would be very interested in TSX loading data, in particular for the 270 and 130 grn TSX, I can't seem to find any data, anywhere all the barnes manuals are 3rd edition which don't show the TSX.

I am also interested in XLC performance, I toured the barnes plant a few weeks back, if you saw how the XLC's are made you would understand why they don't wanna make them any more, basically they are a PIA to make, they have to feed them one at a time on a special machine that sprays the coating, it also tends to make a mess in the plant as well.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the XLC, yes.

Measured at 15feet with an original Chrony.

The first load was with H414 and that shows in the Barnes book @ 3093fps (out of a 24") with 59.5grs
Barnes also shows IMR4831 @ 3091 with 62.0gr
Barnes doesn't show an RL22 load, so I made one myself.

I hope you don't mind if I don't actually discuss my charge weights, I exceeded published max by a couple of grains.

but I started with a bit more room in Neck sized cases
making the RL22 charges easier to fitSmiler

what annoyed me was that I could not find ANY combination of components that'd let me break past 3200 with a 150gr bullet.... no, not even the XLC.
3150 is possible with a 150, but upping the charge weights only pushed velocities into the 3170's before I started getting flattened primers.

With a 165gr Barnes @3100 I'd take on anything in North America with Hooves.

Yeah, I'm hotrodding things a bit, but
the rounds I'm loading to this level will all be
fired in a single specific Rem700.

I do own another 30-06, but rounds loaded for that rifle are easily distinguished, I load them in Nickel plated cases.
my other 30-06 is a Remington semi-auto that I load after using a "special small base" sizing die on the brass
and because of the beating that the rifle puts on the brass (bent case mouths and dinged bodies are usual) case life is short no matter what I do...

I don't know why I worry about it... My bolt rifle loads won't physically fit in the chamber of the semi-auto and allow the bolt to close, much less allow it to rotate into battery...
Nor will they fit into the magazine of the semi-auto.
But I put them in different colored plastic boxes anyway.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cummins cowboy

I am getting great accuracy results in my 270 win with the 130 TSX using W-W brass; Fed 210M primers and Rel 19. top load so far tried is 57 grains with no pressure signs and several 3/8 groups produced, not bad for a #1 contour barrel

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote