New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quickload Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just starting to learn to load my own. Have exercised all the individual stages on dummys so comfortable with using the tools.

I got Quickload (DAMN! but those folks are proud of that software package!) and have a couple of operational questions about it. I figure I'll work out min and max powder charges theoretically using the software simulator.

Question about chamber pressure readings. I notice the display has 4 different "zones" for chamber pressure with different colors that show up as the background color of the max pressure window and in the graph.

What is the meaning of those 4 colors? I expect from the color that anything in the "red" zone exceeds max safe CP. Is that correct? Should I avoid combinations that yield results in the red zone?

What about the magenta zone? What is the significance of chamber pressure in that range?

What about the yellow zone? What is the significance of chamber pressure in that range?

I'm asking here because I want answers from the users' perspective rather than the software publisher's.

Thanks in advance.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
You have got to be kidding!

QL is a pretty dangerous program for newbes (Hell it’s dangerous enough in the hands of experienced reloaders). Have you bought any reloading manuals from any of the bullet manufacturers?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ed is proud of QL...I don't blame him, it is an excellent predictive program and I've have/used just about every internal/external ballistics programs that have come down the pike since the late 50's.

You would be better served by what Ed says rather than what Users say as you should know that Ed knows and understands his program while you don't have a clue what level of understanding a user has.

Red is pressure above what you've set as max pressure... Yellow is approaching within a certain percentage YOU can set or use the default.

Take some time to learn the program by working with it...changing parameters and seeing what those changes bring about and TALK TO ED if you have questions...AFTER you have QL fairly well understood.

I've found anytime I have a "wonderment" I can answer it just by futzing around...it's a computer program and only tells you the outputs of YOUR inputs, so unless you know and understand what you did, you can't understand what came out...and the only way to really understand the program is by working with it.

I do have to wonder tho'...red usually means danger and yellow means caution...just like a traffic light, and the color change implication was obvious to me anyway...not that I'm all that sharp or smart.

Just play with it a while...set the parameter for "tooltip" and "symbolbar" under INFO, so you can read the tooltips anytime you click on a box and hover...which should answer many of your questions.

QL is a very sophisticated program with many required inputs, yet simple and intuitive if you have any backgroud knowledge of ballistics...and DANGEROUS if you DON'T understand or input the wrong information as it will give you an output from the data you stuff into it and from the defaults built into the program...if you CAN'T or DON'T understand the output pressures or see they are wrong, then it's time to go back to school. shocker

I guarantee I had a half dozen reloading books, a couple of other software programs running in the background and one hand on the keyboard when I first started playing with this program and I was coming up with "stuff" I knew was wrong just by looking at the pressure output and the other books and programs were telling me was wrong and it took me 3 days of hard work to finally get fully acquainted and comfortable with "Mr. QL"...see how smart I realy am... Confused Eeker space Big Grin

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the program for several weeks now and have poked and prodded and watched what happened when I did. I am a newbie to handloading but I am not an idiot!! Nor was I born yesterday. I am well aware of what the results of over charging a cartridge could be - as in damaged (damned expensive) rifle, injury to myself, SERIOUS injury to myself including (since my ugly old puss will be so close to the action) blinding or even DEATH!!!

I have both the Lee and Lyman manuals. I intend to use those as source documents for setting the amounts of powder to load. I have a Shooting Chrony F1 and a tripod to set it on. My plan was to test the loads and record the muzzle velocities produced and compare them to QL's results.

I just want some information about QL. I am not going to - knowingly - do anything stupid. I have been studying this issue and working up to actually loading rounds for MONTHS!

If you don't want to answer my question, fine. But in that case why waste time assuming I am a nitwit and berating me for it?

BTW, if there are unobvious pitfalls about using software such as QL, why not SHARE them with me instead of trying to scare me away from using it? Mine was an honest question, honestly and respectfully asked. You don't know me. Why worry about whether or not I might blow my face off?

Geeez!

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Have a look at my thread on the 30.06 in the medium bore forum.

If I took QL at face value my charge weights would be far too high.

Do your load development the in the usual way, ie working up from published loads with one eye on the brass for pressure signs and one eye on the chrono.

Once you've done that you can compare the QL predictions with your actual results in your rifle.

Using that knowledge, you need to keep good records, you can establish a basis for using the program to play the "what if game" with loads for your rifle.

Please understand, to an experienced user of the program the statement:
quote:
I figure I'll work out min and max powder charges theoretically using the software simulator.
rings alarm bells immediately.

The red, magenta, etc zones are simple percentages of whatever of whatever your user defined maximum pressure is. they are no indication of safety or otherwise and you can get in to trouble very quickly like that.

Have a thorough read of the manual too mate.

Best,

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The red, magenta, etc zones are simple percentages of whatever of whatever your user defined maximum pressure is. they are no indication of safety or otherwise and you can get in to trouble very quickly like that.

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Why so hostile...NO ONE KNOWS YOU FROM DOODLY SQUAT UNLESS YOU TELL SOMETHING OF YOUR BACKGROUND IN ADVANCE OR ALONG WITH YOUR QUESTION.

I took you for a newbie the way you worded your question and so did Mick I suspect, and WAY to many people get into deep doodoo by using software without knowing HOW too...

Being safe in responses on the net is one way to keep ignorant muleheaded morons from getting hurt...if you can't understand that you need to re-evaluate your mental structures and maybe take your questions elsewhere AND THEN LET THE PEOPLE KNOW YOUR LEVEL OF EXPERTISE, IN ADVANCE, SO THEY CAN ANSWER YOU MORE INTELLIGENTLY...OR NOT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about I just take my stupid questions and go elsewhere?

I AM a newbie for goodness sake but that does not make me an idiot. I didn't survive 6 decades on my (nonexistent) good looks nor on my luck.

How about you folks answer a person's questions honestly and simply and leave the editorializing for the ARPF?

I guess I'll just have to take any questions private. That way I can pick my responder(s).

`

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

+1 tu2

+1

QL could be very helpfull, but there are more then the pressure data to have a very close look at:

I usualy start my loads in the upper or mid of the yellow area and go till the mid of the magenta area as a maximum load.
Second is to control the percentage of the load volume: 80 is minimum with most powders, 90% and more is better - but be carefull and stay under 100 or go above it, but not to be very close around 100 %
Third should be watched: the powder burning rate - not necessary to burn 100%, but coming below 95-96 % is also not good (then You should choose a faster burning powder)

Have a good try and read the manual - You are doing at your own risk!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quickload is only a guide. Under no circumstances should you rely on it's predictions alone for beginning to work up loads. Only rely on a manual for that and I suggest your bench have at minimum 3-4 of those. If you look at the "Pressure" box when you enter a cartridge, it shows the max. SAAMI presssure recomendation. Right clicking (I think) brings up a warning that it recommends that you DO NOT load to a pressure more than 90% of that value. Lottsa guys do, I'm sure, but...
The low end of the red zone on the chart is, I think, the 90% point of Pmax. It's been a while for me & I'd have to go & take a look.
I'd recommend you use QL only to see what you may expect from data you find in an established manual. In some cases, I've found QL to be rather close to what I find at the range but I've also found it to be off by quite a bit. My .270 WSM with 1 load, A.I.R. was off by quite a bit.
QL is fun to play with but be careful too.
Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Quickload is only a guide. Under no circumstances should you rely on it's predictions alone for beginning to work up loads. Only rely on a manual for that and I suggest your bench have at minimum 3-4 of those. If you look at the "Pressure" box when you enter a cartridge, it shows the max. SAAMI presssure recomendation. Right clicking (I think) brings up a warning that it recommends that you DO NOT load to a pressure more than 90% of that value. Lottsa guys do, I'm sure, but...
The low end of the red zone on the chart is, I think, the 90% point of Pmax. It's been a while for me & I'd have to go & take a look.
I'd recommend you use QL only to see what you may expect from data you find in an established manual. In some cases, I've found QL to be rather close to what I find at the range but I've also found it to be off by quite a bit. My .270 WSM with 1 load, A.I.R. was off by quite a bit.
QL is fun to play with but be careful too.
Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

#
Good advice but without wishing to strat a flame war you're another one who needs to RTFM!! Big Grin Big Grin sofa

The zones work as follows:

Red: Above the user defined pressure for the cartridge, this figure is usually the CIP or SAAMI pressure specification but is a user adjustable variable and so may be set to a safe value or not depending on, literally, many factors.

Magenta: The threshold for this is Pmax -15%, so it runs from maximum pressure at the top to 15% below that figure at the bottom of the zone.

Yellow: Pmax-25% to pmax-15%

White: >Pmax-25%

This does not take into account pressure spikes due unsuitable powder choice giving variable pressures shot to shot. For example a given load could have an ES of 100fps, the pressure differences between high and low be more than 15% according to my calcs and so that would not be an indicator of safety whilst working up.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote