New
Find
Notify
Tools

choosing a powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
new to reloading. how do you all choose powder when starting with a new cartridge do you just look in the manual and start with there best load, or is there so formula with burn rate,cartridge size and barrel length to get the most out of a load.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually open the pad at a new page and start searching the various powder manufacturers, note the loads down and move on to the next. Once I've done the internet, I start on the manuals. Then I go through other publications like mags, annuals and other ref books. Once all this stuff is gathered, I've a very good idea of what should go in then it's off down the range to test the boxes of candidates. Once in a blue moon it works and I've got a load, most of the time I end up surfing here for a recommendation!

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are new to reloading, be conservative, stick to the loading manual for whatever bullets you are using. The Nosler manual lists the most accurate powder and wt. of powder for a given bullet. The manuals typically show a starting load about 4 grains below max. Start there and work up in 0.5g steps.

If you don’t have a reloading manual, get one. The Speer book has a good section on basic principles of reloading. It explains powder burn rates, primers, bullet seating depth, brass preparation, etc.

What are you reloading? Someone on this board has most likely already found several powders that work well. This would be a starting point for you.

Always start low and work up. What is an acceptable load in one gun may yield overpressure in another.

Be safe. Take small steps. There are no dumb questions. Any mistake you can think of, someone here has already done it.

People learn by three methods: Some learn by reading, some learn by observing others, and a few just have to pee on that electric fence.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one good starting place is at the Hodgon website's reloading data pages where you can compare 3 major brands of powder all on the same page. All the other major powder makers have similar sites.

if and when you get to the point of wanting to load for max accuracy--you'll probably want to see your fav bullet maker's recommmendations...........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to ask...
What calibre are you loading for?
What bullet weight?

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT ; How many different calibers are you looking to reload ? What's the largest caliber ?.

Reason for asking ; One can get lucky and select a powder that will load several calibers .

Which one will you more than likely shoot most and reload for ?, select the powder which gives the fastest

velocity , with the least amount of pressure . Start your loads in the middle of the load spectrum

load only a few say 10 rounds , step down 1 grain load 10, step up 1 grain load ten .

Use some either previously loaded or cheap factory loads . Go too the range shoot those cheapy loads

for foulers . Now start with the middle shoot five , use the step down loads repeat for 5 shots , then the

stepped up loads again only 5 . Remember 1-2 min between each shot , don't want barrel hot just warm .

Which gave the better grouping ? , Repeat and verify . You will then know if your rifle prefers middle

mild or hotter loads . If hotter was better proceed in 1/2 grain increments until groups go away or

when nearing maximum . If middle was better then fine tune with 1/10 grain increases , ditto with

lessor loads . You'll find what works best for you and your Rifle . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies. I have two manuals a speer and barnes. I am loading for a Kimber Montana 325WSM , win feather light 7x57, 7mmremmag browning auto and rem 700 308. i stared with the 325wsm just looked in the manual randomly picked a powder form the list. i was just wondering if there is a better way then just getting 3 or 4 powders form the list in the manual and give them a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for the 325wsm i started with win760 fed gm215m primers nosler ballistic tip 180 grn started at min and worked to max would not shoot under 3inches then 196grn horn same then barnes tsx 200grn sarted at 62grn at 64grns i had a little under 1 inch which i am happy with except it is way under the max load. should i be worried about 150fps on a light weight hunting rifle i will not shoot over 400yrd.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You doing pretty good. I wouldn't worry about 150 fps. You'll never notice it and your game won't notice it either.

I have 1" load for my 7mmRemMag using 1grain over min of Retumbo and 139gr hornady SST. This load killed 2 deer in the last few days. They didn't notice that the bullet wasn't going 3000fps.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I look for a powder that will give me a near full case & the vel. level I am seeking. I see no point in having say a 7remmag & running it @ 7x57 vel. Might as well sell it & get the 7x57. I find slower powders running 98%-100%+ case volumn gives exc. accuracy & often highest vel.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My slow 7mmMag load is mostly because the rifle was going to be used by a friend that is a little recoil sensitive. Plus I don't like to run Ballistic Tip style (no premium) bullets at full speed because they tend to ruin a lot of meat they hit a bone.

I try to get as much velocity as I can out of my heavier bullets. My rifle likes heavier bullets 160 and 175 gr.

I too like case full loads and I'm not afraid of a little compression in those slow powders.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the slowburning or the middle powder in the manuals, then you have a good chance that its right for your rifle.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that the price of powder in the uSA is so darn cheap compared to Canada and most of the rest of the world. I'd have a nice assortment to choose from. A pound of anything here is in the $38.00 range, with Vitavouri even more expensive. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I move about every 3 year so this may not be the best hobby for me but some one told me to get a 6pack 6small amounts of powder to try but never seen one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
...someone told me to get a 6 pack of small amounts of powder to try, but never saw one.

That was something Hodgden offered several years ago, but it didn't last. Of little use if you're looking for a powder for a single rifle.

MT, people here can tell you what they like for a given caliber, but you have to tell them what you're shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my Question have been answered.how to pick a powder for a new cartridge? thanks to all that have replied.