New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring belted magnum cases......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A gent told me last night he discards any belted magnum case that the belt has been reduced in diameter from factory specs. In my case, I ran a mic. on five 3X fired 300 Win. Mag. cases & all were slighly under .530"...I believe they are still good. Make any sense to anyone? r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no way that the belt is going to get SMALLER upon firing. Whatever the diameter pre-firing, it will be at least as large as it came from the factory.

Nominal specifications for the belted head vary. I believe that specifications call for a maximum diameter of .532", meaning that the chamber specs must be slightly larger than this. It is not uncommon for belts on new cases to measure as little as .525".

It is pointless to measure -- much less discard -- cases with belts slightly under .530". Besides, on the second loading (provided it is a bottlenecked case) you should be setting the cartridge to headspace on the shoulder rather than the belt, making the belt totally irrelavent, anyway. You could even turn the belt completely off of a case which is headspacing on the shoulder and it would make no difference.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A gent told me last night he discards any belted magnum case that the belt has been reduced in diameter from factory specs.

Confused Sounds like someone has way to much time on his hands. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This post is young so I'll be the first one to say.........."tell him you'll take all the rejects!"

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Stonecreek's post.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote