THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Followup to sizing lube question. Any cheap spray oil acceptable?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Followup to sizing lube question. Any cheap spray oil acceptable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
On my question concerning spray on sizing lube vs. roll on lube I got a lot of response from people using products not specifically designed as "case lube." Could you use something like Wally Worlds generic spray oil as a case lube? I would assume you would have to clean off the residue to prevent possible contamination of powder. What are some things some of you have successfully used? I'd just be interested to know.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use just about any lube as case lube. A light spray of WD40 works fine. I even tried K-Y Jelly once, it worked too, but it's better suited to other uses. Wink

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). A "lube" is a material that intermediates... In ice skating, the weight of the skater on the blade melts the ice under the blade and the skater floats on this thin film of water... Or is that more than you want to know...???
#2). the old standards were castor oil and lanolin 'cause they have been available so long and work. Before the oil industry got involved.
#3). FIRST question with a sizing lube, what does it do to the components? Powder? Primer? Bullet? (turn green???) Saves alot of grief if you just stick with something that won't mess up your powder/primer.
#4). "Any thing" has one other problem. What does it cost you when it fails. If you use XX Super Lube in your car engine and the engine seizes up ??? Big bucks...
#5). Accepting #4, you can try anything. I think someone said they use "PAM" pot spray... But you do so "at your own risk" / expense. I saw the instructions for the original RCBS swage dies. They recommended, as I recall, 10 weight Mobile motor oil... ??? Non detergent days, no doubt. STP was highly recommended at one time, EXCEPT for getting it off... SO you are on your own and your Wally world product might work well. Might not. LUCK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read of people getting great results with plain old PAM nonstick cooking spray!

Myself I use an exotic wire lube for wire fed welders.

quote:
#4). "Any thing" has one other problem. What does it cost you when it fails

About 20 minutes and $0.45 worth of hardware making a stuck case removal tool.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
My all time fovourite is engine oil smoke stopper additive. I had an oversize case fired in another rifle recently - I had to push real hard to force it into the sizer die (the web area was big) and that case just pushed itself out again!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are times so tough that you can't afford regular case lube?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some of us because of "geographics" many of the specific case lube products especially the aerosols, are simply unobtainable. Any alternative ideas might help.
Personally I use a lot of lanolin (Briggs & Stratton brand) which I just rub on by hand. No problem with solvent risks, works very well, protects the cases while in storage and them comes off easily prior to loading.