Find
Notify
Tools

.338-.375. ????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
Wondering if anyone has ballistics and loading info on this round. I know you can get dies, and I have seen one at a show, even made a ctg of my own to handle, but need technical info to see if I am going to pursue it further(Thinking mauser build).
Thanks all in advance.

JAG
Hood River, OR

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a .338 necked up to .375 or do you mean a .375 H&H necked down to .338? Your post infers the latter.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Sorry, got it mixed I ment a 338 necked up to a 375. THanks
JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting partners has a 375/338 Chatfield-Taylor. Cartridge designed by the same person who came up with the 416 Taylor. He is getting an honest 2600 FPS with the old style 300 grain Nosler Partition from his 21" barrel and a heavy dose of IMR4320 I believe.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite wildcats. It fits and feeds beautifully in a 98Mauser or pre-64M70. Ballistics are atleast equal to the H&H and it's a nice looking cartridge (bonus). The only drawback (and this is common to most wildcats)is the extra cost of reloading dies and the occasional delay in getting them.A little more practical as a north American round than the 416 Taylor perhaps (another personal favorite). I like these built as a quick handling rifle for coastal bear or a heavy timber elk rifle. A22 inch barrel is ideal. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Bill Leeper,
The wait to get dies is not much of an issue for me as the project is still in concept stage and I could order them soon and have them in plenty of time. (I hope!)

Part of my reasoning for this, and not something like a new 416, is to tie my 375H&H and 338WM together. I have lots of stuff (Slugs, brass etc)for both and besides, dont we all need another gun!

Allen,
So the 375/338 Chatfield-Taylor is the same animal? I see the dies listed as a 375-338 Winchester, so I have to ask.

So, does anyone know where I can get dimensions, and load info(aside from die mfg.)?
I have two actions to choose from for the project, both will require the standard work to get them to accept the ctg, but both are in great shape.

Thanks,
JAG
Hood River, OR

<Phil R>
posted
I also have a .375/.338 in a Ruger stainless #77 with a Pac-Nor barrel. It's a great caliber! Duplicates the .375 H&H in a smaller package with slightly less powder. Just run the .338 case thru the .375/.338 full length die and you got it! It goes nice with my .338 and my .30/.338. A great elk,moose, big bear gun.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Phil,
By chance do you have any load info on it?
I have been told it is real close but having a hard time find actual numbers on it.

Thank you,
JAG

<Phil R>
posted
Jag,
I forget Brian's web page address but type .416 Taylor on Google and it will appear. My load data is on his site. It's from a 24" barrel.The only load that caused a slightly sticky bolt, but no other pressure signs was the 260gr. Nos. Partition around 2,900fps.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

[This message has been edited by Phil R (edited 05-13-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the URL for Brian's web site:
http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/

[This message has been edited by BFaucett (edited 05-13-2002).]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I found the page and data and have decided to move foward with this caliber. Will order dies in a week or so, as well as the barrel. I will let you all know which barrel, mods and etc, in the gunsmithing forum as this project rolls ahead. Thanks all who helped and even those that just read!

JAG
Hood River, OR