New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If a chronograph is inaccurate on a heavily overcast day which way would it be likely to err? Would it tend to read higher or lower? Or would the errors be random.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Ralph,
I always take a .22 with me to see if the chrono's working proper. Overcast days have'nt been a problem for me, it's the blue bird {THE DAYS YOU WANT TO BE OUTSIDE} days that Ive had the most problems. If the sun is directly over head take a nap, kinda like driving....10 o'CLOCK 2 o'clock.
works for me.
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Shooting Chrony is quite accurate as long as the tripod casts a visible shadow. If I leave the diffusers in place, and the clouds get dense enough that the shadow just disappears, readings will be 50 fps low. When the clouds get denser than that, my Chrony will not work with the diffusers in place.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
Bright want to be outside days diffusers on when the shadows disappear diffusers off. Have more problems on sunny days than overcast days. Error is usually ramdom and all over the scale.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to any other brand, but with Oehler, it is usually right, or it doesn't register at all. Only on rare occasions it registers something inaccurate, but it is bizzare enough that you know to discount that shot.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our shooting range is set up West-East due to the land. I normally shoot in the afternoon and the shadow from the roof is quite a ways out front of the benches. Would this have an effect? I have a master chrony. I have only used it two days when it was very overcast and had variations up to 20 fps with 375H&H loads)I didn't use the sky screens). I was developing GS FN loads. I am clocking 2850fps with 79gr of RL15 as recommended by Girard. I started with 72 gr. The target is 2950fps. At the current rate it will take about 81 gr to achieve this. I just want to be confident in the readings and what could effect them.

[This message has been edited by Ralph (edited 03-16-2002).]

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Ralph,
20 fps is usually quite good. Think your chrony is working just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speed isn't always a sure sigh of safe pressures. you can have a big jump in pressure and not one in speed. If you are working above max don't always count and the speed to show that your over safe working pressures.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My chony really had me going one day. 404 Jeffery with 80gn Mulwux 2208 behind a paper patched copper jacket 410 designed for the 416 rigby.

Reading on the first shot - 68fps with about 60 foot-pounds of recoil. Undetered second shot 73 fps nose almost bleed. The next shot was to be aimed straight for that #@$* chrony untill someone pointed out that I had the damned thing too close and it was reading the speed of the discarded paper jacket.

Never had any probs since.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a hidden switch that will cause the velocity to drop or rise about 200fps on the display, depending on the setting. That would be really fun for comparing each other's loads or each other's pistols...

"Man! This $50 2" snubby is getting 400fps more velocity than your custom 8" K-frame! With your own ammo! Who would have guessed?"

LOL!

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote