Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECK SIZING
 Login/Join

posted
JUST A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS ON NECK SIZING---THE RIFLE IS A SAVAGE 110 TACTICAL IN.308. I LOAD MOSTLY SIERRA AND NOSLER MATCH HPBT C.O.L. IS BETWEEN 2.785 AND 2.8 INCHES.USING IMR 4895 41 GR. WITH MIL. BRASS. AFTER 3 RELOADS OF JUST NECK SIZING, SAY IF I LOAD 20 ROUNDS--15 MIGHT JUST SLIDE IN THE CHAMBER EASILY, WHILE THE OTHER 5 DON'T WANT TO CHAMBER AT ALL.THE OVERALL LENGTH DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY ISSUE. USING NEW BRASS I NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, AND THE RIFLE SHOOTS EXCELLENT. AFTER LOOKING AT THE BULLETS THAT DON'T FIT, I SEE WHERE THE BULLETS HAVE SCRACTHES ON THEM I BELIEVE UPON ENTERING THE BORE AND THE BRASS HAS SOME MARKS WHERE IT SEEMS TO BE A TIGHT FIT IN THE CHAMBER. IS THIS A SIGN THAT THEY NEED TO FULL LENGTH SIZED? DO YOU FOLKS AUTOMACTICALLY FULL LENGTH SIZE BRASS EVERY 3 0R FOUR TIMES FIRED? I'VE RELOADED AROUND 600 TOTAL ROUNDS, FAIRLY NEW TO THE SPORT OF RELOADING. HOOKED FROM DAY ONE!!!!! I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT . THANKS

Posts: 5 | Location: CUMBERLAND CO. TN. | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Your problem is probably the difference in the size of your dies and the chamber. You could try a different neck sizing die to see it there is any change, other wise after two shoots or so full length size again. RCBS makes a small base die which could help. If you can borrow a couple of dies to see if there is any difference. If not then it could be your chamber. Use some magic marker and mark the case in insert the case with the mark up so each time you insert the cartridge the case will be in the same place. Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
First, do a "Search" here on neck sizing versus full sizing. Lots of info there.

Second, all caps are considered SHOUTING on these boards. It would be nice to use lower case.

What is probably happening is that your expander ball is pulling the necks out a bit when you neck size. Not at all an uncommon thing. Try using some mica or graphite, or even some lanolin, on the inside of your necks. Brushing out the carbon also helps.

Those of us that neck size usually neck size for about 4 or 5 rounds at which point the chambering becomes difficult. We then partially full size and set the shoulder back about .001" to enable easy chambering, then start the cycle again. That's what I do on virtually all my loads.

You might consider the purchase of a Redding S bushing die. The expander causes a lot of different problems in reloading, including pulling the necks out of the concentric. The bushing dies eliminate that and would likely eliminate the problem you are having. It's a great hobby. Be prepared to spend lots of $$$ on all the little things you "need".

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey folks thanks for the reply, I did mark the brass case with a marker and it does show a mark just above the shoulder where it meets the body. No noticable mark on the case body. What do you mean by it could be the chamber? A tight chamber? Tried a small base die and full length die with no improvement on the tight case with either. Did adjust the die a few times but still no improvement. My dies are RCBS and several years old, I regularly clean them. Can they just wear out? Might be time for a new set of dies. I did do a search of the forums but my questions weren't answered accurately. I'll check out the Redding dies. Money? Ah--just something to finance hobby's--Thanks again--John

Posts: 5 | Location: CUMBERLAND CO. TN. | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One other thing I noticed--I recently neck sized 50 cases and they fit in the chamber before finishing the round however after I set the bullet it's a tight fit in the chamber and that's when it shows the mark on the bullet and the case! Just something else to throw into the mix---John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Measure the necks of a factory loaded round, once fired brass, re-sized brass, and one of your finished handloads. Do a little math and I bet you figure out where your problem is. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STALWART:
One other thing I noticed--I recently neck sized 50 cases and they fit in the chamber before finishing the round however after I set the bullet it's a tight fit in the chamber and that's when it shows the mark on the bullet and the case! Just something else to throw into the mix---John

Sounds to me like some of the cases need to be trimmed. You can also back off the seating die a hair as you could have a combination of a slightly too long case being crimped just enough to bulge the case.
The point I'm trying to get across is if you have the seating die set to put a crimp, even a slight one, id the case is too long, by even a few thousandths of an inch, you can slightly bulge the case making entry into the chamber either difficult or impossible. Try backing of the seating die about a half to one full turn and readjusting the seating stem. See if that doesn't cure the problem.
Paul B.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stalwart, I would consider a few bucks invested in a Lee Collet Neck Sizer a good investment. Check case length AFTER any neck sizing, trim as needed. There's not a hard a fast rule as to how many times shot before brass needs the shoulder bumped. I have some '06 brass with maybe 20 plus firings using cast loads that never get anything but neck sizing. I have some 7 mag brass that has been trashed after just 3 firings. However, if you neck size with a die with an expander ball, by all means lube the inside of the neck to help prevent stretching while pulling it out. I use a Q-tip with case lube, and it works just fine. Lots of ways to go at it. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the resized case difficult to extract from the sizing die? Your expander could be pulling your case neck out. If that's true try putting some lube inside your case neck. If not, try to screw your sizing die down about 1/8 of a turn. No more than that to bump your shoulder back a bit.

I have some .308 cases I've neck sized 10-12 times and not had to full length size again. I don't advise using military cases in your firearms. They are quite a bit thicker than commercial one. That thickness could be your problem also. If you fill your cases as a test you'll notice they hold less powder. That's due to the thickness. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Neck sizing has seldom worked for me.I end up with some that chamber well and some that are just abit tight when I close the bolt. The results are that the tight fitted ones group in one area and the easy chambered ones group at a different area on the target. Could it be the cases are streatching at different rates upon firing?

posted Hide Post
Hey folks, thanks again for your assessments, I'll start from scratch and go step by step and be sure to note all differences. And figure out this issue!!! It'll be a few days------Today is opening Day for the juvenile hunt and I have a 10 year old varmint who just counted down the days till today. Best regards---John