New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 or 270 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to decide between buying a 7mm-08 or 270 win in remingtons titanium rifle. This gun would be used for mostly sheep and caribou with the odd moose thrown in if it is near the end of the trip. Also which one could I expect better accuracy from?

Open for suggestions.

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackstone--an excellent rifle choice--I did look at the new Kimber Montana rifle tonight---wowsa is all I can say and may be worth a look to you b4 you go to the 700 Ti.

Anyway to your question I am a die hard 270 fan so I would go that way. Absolutely no flies on the 7/08 though. (I ordered a Montana in the 260) I don't think there will be a lick bit of difference of actual acuracy differences in between the rounds. I feel given a good barrel and good bedding and technique and both will shoot.

I do feel that the 7/08 will be a bit lighter and it will have a bit shorter bolt throw (which doesn't mean anything to me personally). And lastly I do know that the 270 will run a bit faster. Once again in the real world and not in the world of predudices or micro management I am convinced what one would do the other will do just fine.

So go with your gut and get out there and use it!

Just my thoughts....

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm-08 will provide less recoil and muzzle blast as well as more bullet selection for a handloader.The 270win will provide a little more velocity.My choice would be the 7mm-08.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Mark allthough I am a huge 7-08 fan. Yes, the bullet selection is greater for the 7-08 but there are plenty of choices to suit all intended needs for the 270 also. Then theres the action length and weight issue that may sway you or may not.

One thing I have to say for the 7-08 is that in my experience, if you reload, it is one of the easiest cartridges to reload for. Just about any suitable powder will yield good results

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd tend to agree that you would not get better advise if you had ten thousand responses to this post.

Either caliber choice is a winner. Alot of we guys on here could not make such decisions and would probably buy one of each. Always need a back up rifle just in case don't we??

I'd lean toward the 7/08 being a handloader. However, I would never feel undergunned or like I made the wrong decision if I had the 270 instead.

If all problems in life had solutions as easy as this one!

You have no downside here, especially if you reload. The 7/08 has better bullet selection, and the 270 might be a little flatter shooting at long range. However, either one will give a handloader a 140 or 150 grain bullet at 2900 fps or better.
The 7/08 will give longer barrel life, suffering less throat erosion because it burns powder more efficiently. But to the average guy you are really splitting hairs in my opinion.

good luck with either route you go Blackstoner.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 will provide both greater range and power (be cautioned, however, that your great-grandchildren might wear the barrel out).

The potential accuracy difference in the two is far less than the difference in any two otherwise identical rifles; ie., you're as likely to get a more accurate rifle in one caliber as the other. Although you are highly unlikely to fail in a hunt due to the fairly small difference in the two, the .270 gives you more margin (and both of these cartridges are capable but marginal when it comes to moose).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not a handloader, one thing you might consider is ammo availability. Here in Oz, 270 ammo can be bought anywhere - not so the 7-08. As far as bullet selection goes, I've been loading for a variety of cals for years, and nearly always find that I settle on one bullet/powder/primer combo that works, and leave it at that. The last thing I want to be doing when I'm aiming is making mental calculations of bullet drop, etc. With both my 223 and 270, I know their trajectories like the back of my hand, simply from shooting the things, so I know EXACTLY where the bullets are going to go. No one to blame but myself if I miss, and it increases your confidence no end. As it happens, my 270 will shoot 110 and 130g bullets to the same POI at 1, 2, and 300 yards, but in my experience that is vary rare, but I still don't carry different loads with me. As a handloader, I take a Partner press with me, and if I run out of ammo (only happened a couple of times on feral eradication trips), I simply load more.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy one of each, life is full of too many tough decisions to worry about stuff like this.

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
also consider future plans. maybe someday you might change your mind or just want to try something different and rebarrel. the ti is almost twice the investment of reg 700 so short or long action? just something to keep in the back of your mind.....
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will almost always suggest the .270 Win, being a big fan of the cal and all, but since the gun is so light, the 7-08 may be a better choice as recoil in a 6-6.5 lbs all up gun is way different than recoil in a 8-8.5 lbs all up gun. The 7-08 will not quite have the zip at long range as the .270 Win, but then again, you are putting together a very light rifle and extreme long range (i.e. out past 300) may not be a factor and the 7-08 will definitely boot you a little less. My general rule of thumb is that if I want a gun that is short & compact (i.e. 18-20" barrel), I choose a short action, if I want a full length arm (i.e. 22-24" barrel), I go with a long action.

In any case, the .270 Win would be a marvelous choice as well. A little bit more of the same thing when compared to the 7-08. When others say you have more variety of 7mm bullets, it's really kind of a moot point if you actually look at the amount of excellent .270 caliber bullets available. If you can't find a bullet that fits your need in .270 Cal out of the bazillion varieties that are out there between 90-180 gr, chances are you should be shooting a .338 or something larger. It should also be noted that every single one of those many .270 bullets are designed to expand & do it's work at .270 Win velocities, while other cals do not have this advantage due to the large velocity variations in the different cartridges they are chambered in.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently do not have a .270 but I do have a .280 as well as several 7-08's. On my last several trips out west for mulies, I took a 7-08 and left the .280 at home. That may tell you something. I think the .280 might be a better choice for the heavier bullets, 160, 175, but that becomes moot when we're discussing a .270 as 150 (without a hassle) is the top end of the weight choice for it. A 7-08 handles 150gr bullets very well and, if it were my only rifle and I wanted to go elk hunting, I'd load it up with a good 160 and go.
There is no recoil problem with either of them and the shorter bolt throw of the 7-08 may or may not be a factor with you.
If you reload, the 7-08 is very accomadating with different powder/bullet combinations.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GET ONE OF EACH IN A TIKKA T-3---SAME PRICE AS 1 REM TI???

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I am a big .270 fan as well, that is my primary big game getter, but I think both are about the same, if you plan on only hunting deer you might even consider the 260. otherwise think of resale value. it seems that the somewhat odd ball calibers have a better resale value, cause you can go into any pawn shop or gun shop and find a used 270 or 30-06 all day long. for 300-350. I think the 708 would hold its value much better.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote